This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARM Compiler V6 (Clang) license terms

Hi,

I was wondering if the V6 compiler (LLVM based) is free to use or it is required a license (uVision, DS-5, etc)?

Assuming my customer doesn't work with ARM tools (for example, Eclipse open OCD). Can he still work with V6 arm compilation tools?

Regards,

Dotan

Parents
  • Hi Dotan,

We invest heavily in ARM Compiler 6 (AC6) so that we can deliver significant additional value on top of open-source LLVM/Clang. For many users, that value comes in our leading-edge core and architecture support. ARM Compiler 6 is developed alongside the ARM cores and architecture, by highly experienced ARM experts. We have support for future cores long before they become public, for internal use and use by leading-edge partners. By the time a core becomes public and we can start to think about up-streaming support, the functionality in AC6 has been validated, tested, and proven.

For your needs and the needs of your customers however, I think value in AC6 may come in a different form:

* Expert support from highly experienced ARM professionals, in 12 centres around the world

* Highly optimized libraries, with full linker and semi-hosting support

* Significant advantages in performance and code density

* Fully productised functionality such as Link Time Optimization and a C++11 threading API

* Depending on license, access to the qualified compiler for Functional Safety

The ARM Compiler 6 license is included in the license for both DS-5 and MDK. The compiler itself can be used stand-alone (from the command line) or integrated into an IDE such as Eclipse, but it is a licensed product and cannot by used without an appropriate license. 

Hopefully this helped - feel free to drop me a line directly if I can get you any more detail or information on anything,

Paul.

• Hi Dotan,

We invest heavily in ARM Compiler 6 (AC6) so that we can deliver significant additional value on top of open-source LLVM/Clang. For many users, that value comes in our leading-edge core and architecture support. ARM Compiler 6 is developed alongside the ARM cores and architecture, by highly experienced ARM experts. We have support for future cores long before they become public, for internal use and use by leading-edge partners. By the time a core becomes public and we can start to think about up-streaming support, the functionality in AC6 has been validated, tested, and proven.

For your needs and the needs of your customers however, I think value in AC6 may come in a different form:

* Expert support from highly experienced ARM professionals, in 12 centres around the world

* Highly optimized libraries, with full linker and semi-hosting support

* Significant advantages in performance and code density

* Fully productised functionality such as Link Time Optimization and a C++11 threading API

* Depending on license, access to the qualified compiler for Functional Safety

The ARM Compiler 6 license is included in the license for both DS-5 and MDK. The compiler itself can be used stand-alone (from the command line) or integrated into an IDE such as Eclipse, but it is a licensed product and cannot by used without an appropriate license. 

Hopefully this helped - feel free to drop me a line directly if I can get you any more detail or information on anything,

Paul.

Children