This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Debugging Cortex-M3 on HiKey Board with DS-5 and Dstream

Hello, all.

I'm trying to attach Dstream JTAG debugger to a Cortex-M3 core on HiKey Board with DS-5 v5.23.0 Ultimate Edition on Windows.

I tried the following procedure but it took more than one minute to connect to the target.

That is too slow to be compared to other platforms (for example, Cortex-A53_SMP on the same HiKey board takes less than 5 seconds to be connected.)

1. Use "Debug Hardware Config" tool to "Auto Configure" and export a platform file. This tool found 8 Cortex-A53 and a Cortex-M3.

2. Use cdbimporter to import the platform file

3. Rebuild the database on DS-5

4. In Debugging perspective, open debugging configuration and select the imported platform -> "Bare Metal Debug" -> "Cortex-M3" and connect to the target

5. More than one minute (about 70 to 100 seconds) later, I cound debug the core.

I also tried the new Eclipse-integrated 'Platform Configuration Editor' (PCE) but the tool could not find the Cortex-M3 core.

Additionally, the configuration for HiKey Board pre-installed in DS-5 also has no Cortex-M3 core.

Does anyone know why it takes so much time (waiting for timeout of something?) and how can I fix it?

Parents
  • Hi,

Firstly I must apologise for the delay in you getting a response to your issue.

Next, I can reproduce both the issues you report, namely :

i) that PCE does not detect the Cortex-M3 whereas dbhw_config does, and

ii) that connecting to the Cortex-M3 on the HiKey board takes at least 45s....but only when the core is running!

I have raised a defect for the DS-5 Engineering team to look at and also for the 2nd issue. As the 2nd issue is what you are concerned about, I am also trying to look into this.

Also I tried removing all the other Cortex processors & trace infrastructure on the device, so there was just the Cortex-M3 but this made no change.

It still took a long time.

I have a log that shows all the memory accesses that DS-5 makes along with timing information so I shall continue to look into this. It is very peculiar.

We shall continue to look into this and let you know of any updates.

Regards,

Stuart

• Hi,

Firstly I must apologise for the delay in you getting a response to your issue.

Next, I can reproduce both the issues you report, namely :

i) that PCE does not detect the Cortex-M3 whereas dbhw_config does, and

ii) that connecting to the Cortex-M3 on the HiKey board takes at least 45s....but only when the core is running!

I have raised a defect for the DS-5 Engineering team to look at and also for the 2nd issue. As the 2nd issue is what you are concerned about, I am also trying to look into this.

Also I tried removing all the other Cortex processors & trace infrastructure on the device, so there was just the Cortex-M3 but this made no change.

It still took a long time.

I have a log that shows all the memory accesses that DS-5 makes along with timing information so I shall continue to look into this. It is very peculiar.

We shall continue to look into this and let you know of any updates.

Regards,

Stuart

Children
No data