This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

A basic debug control question

When debugging in Arm Dev Studio I Connect to Target and then run my software. When I want to restart the program I disconnect and reconnect to the target. Is there an easier way to restart?

• Hi David,

Disconnecting (shutting down the FVP model) then reconnecting (restarting the FVP model) is usually the best way to restart a program because it guarantees that no processor state or previous memory content is accidentally left from a previous debug session.  It is effectively a hard-reset.  Disconnecting/reconnecting via the debug launcher also conveniently offers the ability to execute debugger commands before or after connection, either individually or as part of a script to, for example, load images, load debug symbols, setup the memory system, etc.

As an alternative, in the Debug Control view, there is a "Hardware Reset" button, which performs the equivalent of a soft reset for a model.  For example, for the Cortex-A53 FVP model, the PC is reset to 0x0.  For M-class, the PC is set to the reset handler.  The image is not reloaded, and the previous state of memory is preserved.  This saves time having to disconnect and reconnect, but you may then have to manually execute any needed debugger commands _and_ set the PC to your image entry point either via the Register view, or with a debugger command such as e.g. "set $PC = 0x80000000", so might be less convenient to use overall.

Hope this helps.

Stephen