This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

An algorithm on a M7 is slower than on M4 - why?

Hi there,

we are working on an audio project, where we move some firmware from an STM32F407 (ARM Cortex M4) to an ATSAME70 (ARM Cortex M7). Despite the ATSAME70 runing at 300 MHz, while the STM32F407 runs at only 168 MHz, the ATSAME70 is definitely slower in execution speed. The MCU clocks have been checked and are (seemingly?) correct.

Here some details:

- Audio is captured by an extern audio codec (SGTL5000) and transferred via I2S to the MCU using 16 bit stereo at 44.1 KHz sampling rate. On the MCU the - DMA collects 32 stereo samples before it calls an ISR, where the captured data is elaborated in realtime.
- In the ISR a reverberation algorithm is called. The entire source code uses only intern memory and is optimized at "O3" optimisation level on both MCUs.
- The ISR execution time is 0.726 msec (= 1/(44100/32)). All times have been measured via oscilloscope, by setting and reseting a GPIO pin at start and end of the ISR.
- I made sure the ATSAME70 runs actually at 300 MHz by programming Timer0 to output a 1 kHz signal, which is correct.

Now, on the STM32F407 the algorithm needs about 0.22 msec of time to execute - on the ATSAME70 it needs instead 0.40 msec, which is far too long. What am I missing here?

Please give me any clue you can think of and thanks a lot in advance!
Michael

Parents Reply Children