This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cortex A9 single core

From the TRM of the Cortex A9 we can read in section 7.4.3 Cortex-A9 behavior for Normal Memory Cacheable memory regions:

SCTLR.C=1 The Cortex-A9 Data Cache is enabled. Some Cacheable accesses are still treated

as Non-Cacheable:

• all pages marked as Write-Through are treated as Non-Cacheable

• if ACTLR.SMP=0, all pages marked as Shared are treated as Non-Cacheable.

I am only running on a single core, and I want to enable L1 and L2 caches without enabling the SCU (I have issues with that at the moment).

I tried to set ACTLR.SMP to 1 with the SCU disabled without any success so far (I get memory corruption), so how should I set my MMU to get L1 and L2 caches on ?

I think I need to map my pages with the S bit set to 0, is that correct ?

Parents
  • Hi vsiles,

Yep, marking memory as Non-Shareable implicitly means that you are the only core/device in the system that needs to see that data. As you progressively increase the Shareability, you're telling the system that it needs to ensure that data is pushed further and further out. ACTLR.SMP=0 implies there is no system cache coherency, so the only way to stay consistent with other devices Sharing data is to treat it as Non-Cacheable.

However I'd rather fix your problems getting the SCU working. Did you invalidate your SCU tags before enabling it? Even for a single core, you should really have the SCU enabled and ACTLR.SMP=1 and ACTLR.FW=1 (which the TRM helpfully forgets to tell you).

The SCU will deal with forwarding coherency requests to other cores or not depending on their presence/power control, and you won't receive or execute any if no other cores are up, but not setting those bits does have a significant effect on the MMU, TLBs and caches on most ARM Cortex-A cores and essentially makes the ACP useless on the Cortex-A9. You should be following the steps in:

ARM Cortex‑A9 MPCore Technical Reference Manual : 5.3.4 About multiprocessor bring-up

.. and set ACTLR.FW at the same time you set ACTLR.SMP.

Ta,

Matt

• Hi vsiles,

Yep, marking memory as Non-Shareable implicitly means that you are the only core/device in the system that needs to see that data. As you progressively increase the Shareability, you're telling the system that it needs to ensure that data is pushed further and further out. ACTLR.SMP=0 implies there is no system cache coherency, so the only way to stay consistent with other devices Sharing data is to treat it as Non-Cacheable.

However I'd rather fix your problems getting the SCU working. Did you invalidate your SCU tags before enabling it? Even for a single core, you should really have the SCU enabled and ACTLR.SMP=1 and ACTLR.FW=1 (which the TRM helpfully forgets to tell you).

The SCU will deal with forwarding coherency requests to other cores or not depending on their presence/power control, and you won't receive or execute any if no other cores are up, but not setting those bits does have a significant effect on the MMU, TLBs and caches on most ARM Cortex-A cores and essentially makes the ACP useless on the Cortex-A9. You should be following the steps in:

ARM Cortex‑A9 MPCore Technical Reference Manual : 5.3.4 About multiprocessor bring-up

.. and set ACTLR.FW at the same time you set ACTLR.SMP.

Ta,

Matt

Children