This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Understanding armv8 tbx and tbl instructions

-1 down vote  favorite  

From the ARMv8 instruction overview about tbl & tbx instructions, I found that 'tbl' is Vector table lookup instruction is used for rearranging data within vectors and 'tbx' (Vector table extend, and is variant of TBL) instructions.

I also got additional documentation on related neon instructions, https://community.arm.com/groups/processors/blog/2012/03/13/coding-for-neon--part-5-rearranging-vectors

I am not getting clear idea on which kind c code will result in generation of such instructions. There is also 3 register and 4 register variant, so in which scenarios these should be generated by any compiler. Can anyone give details on getting better understanding ? Is there any sample C code which I can refer or any particular compiler I should use ?

I found an aes example (http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2014-May/252688.html) in linux source, which generates tbx instructions. But there is no source for this. This seems to be a very optimized assembly for ARM, as well. With this clue, I tried checking for various versions of aes but for none the tbx/tbl instructions are generated.

Thanks,

Parents
  • I am not getting clear idea on which kind c code will result in generation of such instructions.

I doubt any C compiler will generate these automatically; the use case is highly specialized and you need to load the tables into registers, so also has a high setup cost. It's likely that the only common use will be intrinsics or hand-written assembler.

• I am not getting clear idea on which kind c code will result in generation of such instructions.

I doubt any C compiler will generate these automatically; the use case is highly specialized and you need to load the tables into registers, so also has a high setup cost. It's likely that the only common use will be intrinsics or hand-written assembler.

Children