This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Race condition between wake up event and WFI on Cortex-M3/M4

When I read below thread in arm forum, I still not clear which one is the safety way.

Cortex-M4: guaranteed wakeup from WFI?

There're two solutions mentioned above, using WFE instead of WFI, and swap __WFI() and __enable_irq().

I can understand WFE method but in real cases seems more common to use WFI with properly disabling interrupt. so I want to make sure if the second method is OK.

Generally, there're some logic conditions we need to check to see if we're OK to go to sleep. Assuming in a classic single thread system, somewhere within main loop, the code will be like below:

while (1) {
__disable_irq();
if  (condition == true) {
    __WFI();
}
__enable_irq();
}

And in the wake up event interrupt:

wake_up_isr()
{
     condition =  false;
}

1) If wake up event (assuming a pin interrupt) comes before critical section, condition variable will be set true and  system will not go to sleep.

2) if wake up event (assuming a pin interrupt) comes just before __WFI(), as interrupt is disabled, the system will go to sleep, my question is: will system be waked up if some interrupt pending bit is set?