This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What is the meaning of a 64 bit aligned stack pointer address?

According to ARM Architecture Procedure Call Standard (AAPCS) on the ARMv6-M, and ARMv7-M architecture in  it says:

"Although the processor hardware allows SP to be at any word aligned address at function boundaries, standard programming practice requires C program code to ensure that the SP is at a 64-bit (doubleword) aligned address."

What does it mean that the Stack pointer has to be at a 64 bit aligned address?

Parents
  • I read about this recently, as I saw some redundant re-alignment code in a Reset_Handler.

For Cortex-M3, Cortex-M4 and Cortex-M7, it'll be beneficial to align the stack on an 8-byte boundary, since the LDRD instruction would require this.

In other words: If you pass a 64-bit integer on the stack to a subroutine, for instance as the third or fourth parameter, then it'll be stored on the stack.

The compiler would most likely use LDRD / STRD for reading/writing the 64-bit integer.

There is probably no benefit in aligning the stack on an 8-byte boundary on the Cortex-M0 and Cortex-M0+, except from if the compiler is making assumptions like jyiu says. I would expect this to happen if the compiler generates forward-compatible code (that is sometimes necessary if two different cores; eg. Cortex-M0 and Cortex-M4 are implemented on the same chip and they share code).

You can find more information about this in the ARM Information Center.

As for my own use, my own subroutines / code does not require an 8-byte aligned stack pointer (not even my C-code).

Unfortunately, it would not be 100% safe to turn it off, unless your compiler has a switch to ignore 8-byte stack-alignment and you rebuild your C-libraries so you can link against compatible libraries.

(The calling-convention must match all linked code, otherwise you may experience that your code suddenly fail "for no apparent reason").

• I read about this recently, as I saw some redundant re-alignment code in a Reset_Handler.

For Cortex-M3, Cortex-M4 and Cortex-M7, it'll be beneficial to align the stack on an 8-byte boundary, since the LDRD instruction would require this.

In other words: If you pass a 64-bit integer on the stack to a subroutine, for instance as the third or fourth parameter, then it'll be stored on the stack.

The compiler would most likely use LDRD / STRD for reading/writing the 64-bit integer.

There is probably no benefit in aligning the stack on an 8-byte boundary on the Cortex-M0 and Cortex-M0+, except from if the compiler is making assumptions like jyiu says. I would expect this to happen if the compiler generates forward-compatible code (that is sometimes necessary if two different cores; eg. Cortex-M0 and Cortex-M4 are implemented on the same chip and they share code).

You can find more information about this in the ARM Information Center.

As for my own use, my own subroutines / code does not require an 8-byte aligned stack pointer (not even my C-code).

Unfortunately, it would not be 100% safe to turn it off, unless your compiler has a switch to ignore 8-byte stack-alignment and you rebuild your C-libraries so you can link against compatible libraries.

(The calling-convention must match all linked code, otherwise you may experience that your code suddenly fail "for no apparent reason").

Children