This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does anyone use assembler only with an ARM MCU?

I have only used assembler when working with MCU's. I can follow a C program but have not used it in any commercial product. Can anyone suggest a development platform to start off learning the ARM and C? I would probably work on a Cortex M4F as a start.

Thanks

Peter

Parents
  • Hello,

if you want to study Cortex-M4, first of all, you should decide what developing board do you want to use? My personal recommendation is FRDM-K64F board from NXP.
    Each MCU vendor would provide free eco-system for the board. By using it, you can study Cortex-M4 as fast as you can. Regarding an assembler, you can use the specific assembler which is included in an IDE which the eco-system will use. IAR (EWARM) or ARM (MDK-ARM) is providing the free version (including some restrictions) of its eco-system.
    Unless you adopt the existing eco-system, you can use GCC in order to assemble or compile your codes if a boot loader was included in the development board.

Best regards,
    Yasuhiko Koumoto.

• Hello,

if you want to study Cortex-M4, first of all, you should decide what developing board do you want to use? My personal recommendation is FRDM-K64F board from NXP.
    Each MCU vendor would provide free eco-system for the board. By using it, you can study Cortex-M4 as fast as you can. Regarding an assembler, you can use the specific assembler which is included in an IDE which the eco-system will use. IAR (EWARM) or ARM (MDK-ARM) is providing the free version (including some restrictions) of its eco-system.
    Unless you adopt the existing eco-system, you can use GCC in order to assemble or compile your codes if a boot loader was included in the development board.

Best regards,
    Yasuhiko Koumoto.

Children