This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

what are the main differences between cortex A7, A9, A53

What are the main/important features added/updated?

Thank you.

Parents
  • Hello,

Cortex-A9 and Cortex-A7 are almost the same. Both are Armv7-A processors.
    Because Cortex-A7 is the successor of the Cortex-A9, its power efficiency became increased and has some extentions such as hardware division instruction, Large Physical Address Extensions (LPAE) and so on.
    Please find attached figure shows some comparisons (source: Arm).
    Cortex-A7 can also be used for the little core of the bug code such as Cortex-A15 or Cortex-A17 in so called big.LITTLE configuration  because the bus interface became AMBA4 ACE. AXI bus interface of Cortex-A9 cannot be used for the little core.
    Regarding Cortex-A53, it is ARMv8-A (i.e. 64bit architecture).
    The instruction set is not compatible with Armv7-A although the philosophy has inherited Armv7-A.
    Therefore, it is definitely different from Cortex-A9 or Cortex-A7.
    However, AArch32 mode of Cortex-A53 can emulate the Armv7-A (i.e. Cortex-A9/7).

Best regards,

Yasuhiko Koumoto.

CA9-CA7.jpg
  • Hello,

Cortex-A9 and Cortex-A7 are almost the same. Both are Armv7-A processors.
    Because Cortex-A7 is the successor of the Cortex-A9, its power efficiency became increased and has some extentions such as hardware division instruction, Large Physical Address Extensions (LPAE) and so on.
    Please find attached figure shows some comparisons (source: Arm).
    Cortex-A7 can also be used for the little core of the bug code such as Cortex-A15 or Cortex-A17 in so called big.LITTLE configuration  because the bus interface became AMBA4 ACE. AXI bus interface of Cortex-A9 cannot be used for the little core.
    Regarding Cortex-A53, it is ARMv8-A (i.e. 64bit architecture).
    The instruction set is not compatible with Armv7-A although the philosophy has inherited Armv7-A.
    Therefore, it is definitely different from Cortex-A9 or Cortex-A7.
    However, AArch32 mode of Cortex-A53 can emulate the Armv7-A (i.e. Cortex-A9/7).

Best regards,

Yasuhiko Koumoto.

CA9-CA7.jpg
Children