This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What are the most tangible differences between an SSD controller with Cortex-R8 and Cortex-R5?

Hi everyone, I was choosing my nvme 4.0 SSD to mount in the PC for programming, ML, AI, artificial intelligent use. And I saw that what changes between the 2 controllers (the Philip e18 and silicon motion SM 2264) is that the first has Cortex-R5 core and the second Cortex-R8 core, I tried to see the differences from the site, but not me I mean a lot, and I understand almost nothing, if there is someone who would be able to explain to me in a more simple way what changes in practice between these 2 cores ... it would do me a great favor. Thanks in advance, have a nice day.

Parents
  • The Cortex-R5 and Cortex-R8 have a lot differences (number of cores, pipeline layout....).  But I'm not sure that really help you in your decision making.  The processor in the controller is important (well, I would say that) but it's only one part of the overall system.  I don't think trying to compare the processors in isolation will tell you much about the performance of these controllers as whole, given that I suspect there are a lot of other differences as well.

• The Cortex-R5 and Cortex-R8 have a lot differences (number of cores, pipeline layout....).  But I'm not sure that really help you in your decision making.  The processor in the controller is important (well, I would say that) but it's only one part of the overall system.  I don't think trying to compare the processors in isolation will tell you much about the performance of these controllers as whole, given that I suspect there are a lot of other differences as well.

Children
No data