This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can anyone help me to compile a modern kernel for the Psion 5MX?

Hello,

I am the last and least skill-full of the openpsion project. I have the last files from the distribution I made for an etch distribution to run on the device, a userland based on debian 4 etch, a working modular kernel (2.4.30).

I am looking for a person younger than me who could take things over and keep things alive. A lot of work went into this project and it would be a shame to see it dissapear.  Psions are easily still available and I still get contacted by enthusiasts. I have tried to keep the project going but now I am in poor health and simply don't have the skills (or neurons) to continue. I have been diagnosed with Parkinsons. I can provide all the patches, source code and files we made all those years ago and can send all the hardware I still have left. (no charge) I was hoping my son would take things over but he is only interested in girls, motorbikes and football (in that order).

Kindest regards to all

Adrian

www.ajwells.net

linux-7110.sourceforge.net/.../index.shtml

• Hi Adrian,

Apologies for the delayed response and I am sorry to hear about your personal circumstances. I've discussed your request with some of our open source software team working on 32 bit arm kernel support and Linux kernel in general. This is going to be difficult project, even for the most diehard enthusiast. Updating the kernel is going to be challenge as upstream Linux Kernels have dropped support for ARM710. Also modern kernels have bloated in size so fitting everything in to 16MB will be a challenge. Unfortunately, there are no takers for this request within arm. However, it maybe worth while reaching out to others on linux-arm-kernel mailing list and see if anyone in the wider community is willing to maintain a "relatively" modern forked kernel lists.infradead.org/.../ . Sorry for not being able to help you further.

Regards,

Hemendra