This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

A9 - modify MMU translation table resolution

Dear all,

I'm using zynq7010 for an embedded design (two cortex A9 cores)

Actually, the "translation_table.s" file witch fill the MMU translation table with defaut values, use a granularity of 1MB of memory.

The SDK subroutine void Xil_SetTlbAttributes(INTPTR Addr, u32 attrib) witch i use to modify attributes for portion of memory, use an hardcoded granularity of 1MB to point to the good entry in the table and set the value:

section = Addr / 0x100000U;
    	ptr = &MMUTable;
    	ptr += section;
    	if(ptr != NULL) {
    		*ptr = (Addr & 0xFFF00000U) | attrib;
    	}

I have read (UG585) that the MMU is able to support more fine grained sections (chapter 3.2.5 The MMU is compatible with the Virtual Memory System Architecture version 7 (VMSAv7)

requirements supporting 4 KB, 64 KB, 1 MB, and 16 MB page table entries)

As far as i know, linux kernel use 4K tables entries to manage the memory of the system.

I searched, within a lot of documents (UG585, ARM processor documents ...) i am not able to find configurations registers of the MMU to be able to use 4K granularity for my translation table.

My background experience is on small MCU, and i do not understand how big CPU like cortex A9 is configured (how registers are organized and so on... I have the feeling that there is a lot of configurable blocks close to the core itselt and each block has a configuration and a set of registers, and there are machine op code to write those registers instead of addresses ...)

I also had a look in the boot.s file within the SDK and between lines 260-271

#ifdef SHAREABLE_DDR
    	/* Mark the entire DDR memory as shareable */
    	ldr	r3, =0x3ff			/* 1024 entries to cover 1G DDR */
    	ldr	r0, =TblBase			/* MMU Table address in memory */
    	ldr	r2, =0x15de6			/* S=b1 TEX=b101 AP=b11, Domain=b1111, C=b0, B=b1 */
    shareable_loop:
    	str	r2, [r0]			/* write the entry to MMU table */
    	add	r0, r0, #0x4			/* next entry in the table */
    	add	r2, r2, #0x100000		/* next section */
    	subs	r3, r3, #1
    	bge	shareable_loop			/* loop till 1G is covered */
    #endif

we can see that the MMU translation table is written to change DDR parameter if needed. It is also assumed here 1MB granularity. So i searched within the code executed before if a see anywhere if a register is written to tell the MMU "Hey ! you have to assume that the table granularity i gave you is 1MB !!  " or "hey, the translation table is located at this address in memory".

I was unable to find none of them ... so the is a huge probability that i missunderstood something ... or i am completely blind and the answer is in front of my eyes.

does anybody can help me to understand well how this system works ?

Thank's in advance for help !

best regards !

nico