This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why does ARM core product is named "cortex",what's the cortex mean, or which words combination of it

Hello everyone:

I know all the ARM cpu is named cortex,but I don't know what is the "cortex" mean all the time.Maybe it is combination by some words,but what words they are.I search some material,but did't get the answer.
Do anyone know it mean?

Parents
  • I'd think it unlikely that the "Cortex" name would have anything to do with Texas Instruments as has been suggested.

It could be a simple marketing ploy. The name has "Core" in it; doesn't sound like anyone else's product lines; and if you search the web for a definition of "cerebral cortex" the first hit I get describes it as "the outermost layer of the brain that is associated with our highest mental capabilities", so implying that this family of Cortex processors are powerful, highly capable brains for your system.

As an engineer I'd want the name to stand for something, but this might just be a marketing thing.

• I'd think it unlikely that the "Cortex" name would have anything to do with Texas Instruments as has been suggested.

It could be a simple marketing ploy. The name has "Core" in it; doesn't sound like anyone else's product lines; and if you search the web for a definition of "cerebral cortex" the first hit I get describes it as "the outermost layer of the brain that is associated with our highest mental capabilities", so implying that this family of Cortex processors are powerful, highly capable brains for your system.

As an engineer I'd want the name to stand for something, but this might just be a marketing thing.

Children