ARM Embedded Linux Course: error building image using bitbake for raspberry pi 3

I am following the ARM Embedded linux course material and in the lab 1 there is an introduction on how to build an image for a raspberry pi 3. I followed the steps in the course and after modifying the files of bblayers.conf and local.conf, I run the command of bitbake rpi-basic-image which gives me an error of do_compile: oe_runmake failed. How to solve this? I have attached the log file, If I need to add more information do let me know. 

I am a beginner in this field so any help would be appreciated. 

Log: 

DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
NOTE: make -j 1
: && /bin/mkdir -p doc && { PATH='/home/cb/raspberryPi3/rpi-build/tmp-glibc/work/x86_64-linux/automake-native/1.15-r0/build/t/wrap:'$PATH && export PATH; } && /usr/bin/perl ../automake-1.15/doc/help2man --output=doc/automake-1.15.1 automake-1.15
help2man: can't get `--help' info from automake-1.15
Try `--no-discard-stderr' if option outputs to stderr
Makefile:3687: recipe for target 'doc/automake-1.15.1' failed
make: *** [doc/automake-1.15.1] Error 255
WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
ERROR: oe_runmake failed
ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/cb/raspberryPi3/rpi-build/tmp-glibc/work/x86_64-linux/automake-native/1.15-r0/temp/log.do_compile.1066)

• the (sic) ARM Embedded linux course

Which one?

can't your course tutors help with this?

log file is located at /home/cb/raspberryPi3/rpi-build/tmp-glibc/work/x86_64-linux/automake-native/1.15-r0/temp/log.do_compile.1066

have you looked at that log file to see what it tells you?

• Hi,

where you able to solve this issue? I am having exactly the issue in the lab 1. I need help! here's the log file output:

DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
    NOTE: make -j 1
    : && /bin/mkdir -p doc && { PATH='/home/klem/raspberryPi3/rpi-build/tmp-glibc/work/x86_64-linux/automake-native/1.15-r0/build/t/wrap:'$PATH && export PATH; } && /usr/bin/perl ../automake-1.15/doc/help2man --output=doc/automake-1.15.1 automake-1.15
    help2man: can't get `--help' info from automake-1.15
    Try `--no-discard-stderr' if option outputs to stderr
    Makefile:3687: recipe for target 'doc/automake-1.15.1' failed
    make: *** [doc/automake-1.15.1] Error 255
    WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
    ERROR: oe_runmake failed
    ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/klem/raspberryPi3/rpi-build/tmp-glibc/work/x86_64-linux/automake-native/1.15-r0/temp/log.do_compile.15219)

• Hey, Following the same course. Having the same issue. Can someone please help?

• I'll try to help2man. I hope it's useful to future desperados, hang in there!

There's a good chance you're doing "Embedded Linux Online Course" and you're getting this error in your lab 1. I can tell you that I spent hours/days trying to get around this error and I still couldn't fully execute bitbake command and build distro image. That's why I decided to try another branch of poky, meta-openembedded and meta-raspberrypi. One that's used in the lab is "krogoth", but that branch lacks a lot of important patches. The one that worked for me was "sumo", it has 2.5.3 distro version and it just works. So, go change the branch. Now how do you do that? Easy, delete all content of ~/raspberryPi3/sources and run these commands, if you want sumo branch:

git clone -b sumo git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky
    git clone -b sumo git://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded
    git clone -b sumo git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-raspberrypi

You should follow the remaining steps of the lab and you'll need to include following line in your "rpi-build/conf/bblayers.conf":

${BSPDIR}/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-python \

I hope this'll help someone.