This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can I use the smart phone as a development board, development board and smartphones have distinction?

Can I use the smart phone as a development board, development board and smartphones have distinction?

Parents
  • What are you attempting to develop?

If you're developing a product based on an SoC and selecting different parts, form factors, sensors and I/Os, a development board is generally an inexpensive way to start building and testing the software around your product and gives you easy physical access to expansion I/Os. Dev boards generally have more open software and support from the vendor (BSPs, kernels, drivers, etc) and community driven forums.

If you're developing an App or strictly software platform where you won't have to modify the kernel or OS much or at all, a smartphone is probably a better option.

• What are you attempting to develop?

If you're developing a product based on an SoC and selecting different parts, form factors, sensors and I/Os, a development board is generally an inexpensive way to start building and testing the software around your product and gives you easy physical access to expansion I/Os. Dev boards generally have more open software and support from the vendor (BSPs, kernels, drivers, etc) and community driven forums.

If you're developing an App or strictly software platform where you won't have to modify the kernel or OS much or at all, a smartphone is probably a better option.

Children