This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Getting started with ARM hardware development.

Note: This was originally posted on 28th June 2012 at http://forums.arm.com

I have been spending a lot of time in the last two years learning to use arm devices, writing code for them etc.

I have built various little projects which use arm SOC to finish projects.

However, I have reached a point where I would like to start from scratch with hardware development. What I would like is if someone could point me to a book or online reference which is an introduction to building my own ARM devices, and how I hook the chip up to other components etc.

I am sure someone here will know where I should go for this as we all have to start somewhere. I am not Naive, I don't intend on trying to create the next major piece of hardware on the market, I just want to be able to do this as I see it as a skill that I would love to have. Eventually I would really like to be able to build something that I can run a version of android on, just to see how these systems work etc.

Thanks in advance.
Parents
  • Note: This was originally posted on 29th June 2012 at http://forums.arm.com

Hello,
    If you wish to develop hardware for the first time, my personal advice would be to start with "through" components which are easier to solder.
    The device manufacturer would give you examples in the form of schematics/layout suggestion for power supplies and oscillator, some reference designs for an application.
    I believe Texas Instruments Stellaris® and NXP LPC families have Cortex-M microcontrollers available in DIP. These microcontrollers would run limited Linux (ie. ucLinux), not a full Android.
    Finally, what I feel would be a good place to start is take a look at the schematics of the boards you currently use. It will give you examples on how to interface with I/Os, how to interface a screen and how to do power supplies too. But to understand the schematics, you would probably need some hardware electronics background.
    Kindly, Alban
  • Note: This was originally posted on 29th June 2012 at http://forums.arm.com

Hello,
    If you wish to develop hardware for the first time, my personal advice would be to start with "through" components which are easier to solder.
    The device manufacturer would give you examples in the form of schematics/layout suggestion for power supplies and oscillator, some reference designs for an application.
    I believe Texas Instruments Stellaris® and NXP LPC families have Cortex-M microcontrollers available in DIP. These microcontrollers would run limited Linux (ie. ucLinux), not a full Android.
    Finally, what I feel would be a good place to start is take a look at the schematics of the boards you currently use. It will give you examples on how to interface with I/Os, how to interface a screen and how to do power supplies too. But to understand the schematics, you would probably need some hardware electronics background.
    Kindly, Alban
Children
No data