This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My new tablet

Note: This was originally posted on 29th May 2012 at http://forums.arm.com

Hi,
I have just bought a new (very cheap) tablet and am confused about the processor.
It is a Synaptics 7" MID and the processor was specified as being A10 1500MHz.
The box has no identification on it at all. No make, name or model.
When I look at 'about tablet' the info is very sketchy and says only model MID then android and kernel version.
I have installed the Quadrant app, and the processor spec says this:-
ARMv7 Processor rev2 (v71)
current  freq 1008MHz
max freq 1008
min freq 60MHz
Cores 1
Architecture 7
BogoMIPS 1001.88
Hardware sun4i
Revision 2
Serial # 0000000000000000

The tablet runs reasonably well, but on such as google maps or street view, it is incredibly slow.
Could anyone tell me if this is as specified please?

Many thanks
frostyboy
Parents
  • Note: This was originally posted on 29th May 2012 at http://forums.arm.com

Great help and advise thank you Alban.
    Just the sort of sense I needed.

Cheers
    frostyboy

Well... I can tell you for sure that ARM has not created any Cortex-A10.
    Then, there might be a bit of loose use of the term "processor". In tablets, you would rarely find a processor as such, but a System on Chip (SoC). A SoC would include a processor but not only that; the full system with controllers, graphic processor (GPU)... It's still a chip containing processors.
    Allwinner A10 SoC has several "cores" in the sense that it features an ARM Cortex-A8 CPU and an ARM Mali-400 GPU, it has a single "CPU core" though.

The only difference I could see with your Quadrant result would be the clock speed. However, I don't know how Quadrant came up with that value.
    As you can find other manufacturers mentioning 1.5GHz from that SoC, I would tend to think it is possible, however I cannot confirm for your chip/device.

Cheers,
    Alban

• Note: This was originally posted on 29th May 2012 at http://forums.arm.com

Great help and advise thank you Alban.
    Just the sort of sense I needed.

Cheers
    frostyboy

Well... I can tell you for sure that ARM has not created any Cortex-A10.
    Then, there might be a bit of loose use of the term "processor". In tablets, you would rarely find a processor as such, but a System on Chip (SoC). A SoC would include a processor but not only that; the full system with controllers, graphic processor (GPU)... It's still a chip containing processors.
    Allwinner A10 SoC has several "cores" in the sense that it features an ARM Cortex-A8 CPU and an ARM Mali-400 GPU, it has a single "CPU core" though.

The only difference I could see with your Quadrant result would be the clock speed. However, I don't know how Quadrant came up with that value.
    As you can find other manufacturers mentioning 1.5GHz from that SoC, I would tend to think it is possible, however I cannot confirm for your chip/device.

Cheers,
    Alban

Children
No data