MCBSTM32F400 Audio CODEC Issues

Has anyone ever had success getting the CS42L52 audio CODEC to work on the MCBSTM32F400 board?  It is suspicious that there are no working code examples for the CODEC and it is also left out of the board's BSP support package.  I have taken the time to port an MP3 player example that was written for the Discovery board to the MCBSTM32F400 board but it does not work well.  I believe I have made all the necessary changes and the firmware appears to be doing what it is supposed to do, but the audio output from the board is very distorted.  From a power up the audio output starts out fine but then it degrades over a period of several seconds to be very distorted.  If you just reset the board while it is powered on the sound also starts out okay but degrades even quicker. That fact that these two scenarios produce different results suggests some kind of power/stability issue.  While it is running, touching the board in the area of the CODEC (or just getting close to the CODEC with your finger) kind of improves the audio quality.  I have tried a variety of component changes to make the circuit closer to the CODEC datasheet's recommended design but it made no difference.  Perhaps my board just has a defective CODEC component so it would be great to know if anyone else has seen this problem, perhaps solved it, and/or has a working example that uses the CODEC so I could verify it actually functions.