This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Timer 2 as 5 sec timer

Greetings everybody,

I am working on a project of making a timer which runs for 5 seconds and stops. I have selected timer 2 for this. I start the timer on key press and it runs for 5 seconds.

Below is the code for initializing the timer 2

void _init_timer(void)
{
        T2CON = 0x80;                /* 10000000 */

/*--------------------------------------
        Overflow at every 10 ms.
        --------------------------------------*/

RCAP2H = 216;
        RCAP2L = 239;

TL2 = RCAP2L;
        TH2 = RCAP2H;

//SET HIGH PRIORITY FOR TIMER 2 INTERRUPT
        PT2  = 1;
        IPH |= 0x32;
        /*--------------------------------------
        --------------------------------------*/
        ET2 = 1;                      /* Enable Timer 2 Interrupts */
        TR2 = 1;                      /* Start Timer 2 Running */
}

The timer 2 overflows at every 10ms so for 5 seconds it should over flow 500 times. I have set at variable var_counter to value 500 and as soon as timer 2 interrupt is raised i decrement the value of var_counter as below

void timer2_interrupt(void) interrupt 5
{
        TF2 = 0;
        var_counter     --;
        if(var_counter == 0)
        {
                _disable_timer();
        }
}

The problem is that sometimes it runs exactly for 5 seconds and sometimes it stops withing the range of 5.1 to 5.3 seconds which means 100ms to 300ms more. How can i offset this error ?

Parents
  • Greetings Mr Neemit Valcharius,

The principle of using a software prescaler is straightforward. You do not show your initialization to var_counter. Is it being set correctly? Is it being accessed by anything else? It should be easy to add some debug code to determine how many of the timer interrupts are occurring, so it should be easy for you to trap the condition.

Warmest Regards,

A Neandertal MSc

ps Did you copy that code from my blog?

• Greetings Mr Neemit Valcharius,

The principle of using a software prescaler is straightforward. You do not show your initialization to var_counter. Is it being set correctly? Is it being accessed by anything else? It should be easy to add some debug code to determine how many of the timer interrupts are occurring, so it should be easy for you to trap the condition.

Warmest Regards,

A Neandertal MSc

ps Did you copy that code from my blog?

Children