This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

C++ global object multiple defined

Hello:
I'm coding in C++ for ARM for the first time, using Keil. I'm working in a project that already exists but I need to make some changes. I cannot change the libraries or the file's structure. The test_1 and test_2 functions use a global object and I cannot change it. Problem is, the code was created to run each test in an independent compilation, but now I need to create a menu for all the tests in a single project.

I'm having problems with the use of a global object. I want to instantiate one object in a .cpp file and use it in another .cpp file (using extern), but linker keep sayng that the object was multiple defined.

Any idea how to solve it?

Thanks.

---My project:

Library File:

// myclass.h:

class myclass{

Header for tests 1

// test_1.h
#ifndef TST1_H
#define TST1_H

void test_1(void);

extern myclass mc(0);  // extern declaration

#endif

Tests file 1

//test_1.cpp
#include "my_lib.h"
#include "test_1.h"

myclass mc(0);

void test_1(void){

mc.func1();
mc.func2();
}

Header for tests 2

// test_2.h
#ifndef TST2_H
#define TST2_H

void test_2(void);

extern myclass mc(0);

#endif

Tests file 2

//test_2.cpp
#include "my_lib.h"
#include "test_2.h"

void test_2(void){

mc.func1();
mc.func2();
}

Main cpp file

// main.cpp
#include "my_lib.h"
#include "test_1.h"
#include "test_2.h"

void main(void){

// menu for tests...
case 1: test_1(); break;
case 2: test_2(); break;

}

Parents
  • extern myclass mc(0);  // extern declaration

That's your problem right there. That's not actually a declaration. It's a definition. So your code at large is in violation of the C++ "one definition rule". You have to fix that.

Your headers also fail to pull in the type definition for "myclass" before using it. That means they can't stand on their own, which tends to create all kinds of problems down the road.

• extern myclass mc(0);  // extern declaration

That's your problem right there. That's not actually a declaration. It's a definition. So your code at large is in violation of the C++ "one definition rule". You have to fix that.

Your headers also fail to pull in the type definition for "myclass" before using it. That means they can't stand on their own, which tends to create all kinds of problems down the road.

Children