This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARM Compiler optimization effects

Hello,

I'm using Keil uVision V5.24.2.0 with ARM Compiler V5.06 update 5 (build 528). Initially, compiler optimization level was set to 1.

With this level, I found that the address assigned to a pointer changed, without any modification done by the code. To avoid this I reduced the optimization level to 0 and pointer address remained the same throughout and system reset, didn't occur.

Kindly, help me understand why would compiler optimization effect in such a way?

Here, is what I found www.keil.com/.../armcc_chr1359124221739.htm

Thank you in advance.

Parents
  • Changed during program execution? From what to what?

A pointer could be held in a register rather than a RAM variable when the compiler deems it more efficient to do so.

Show context where this is a problem, or how to replicate your situation.

Look at a disassembly of the code. The compiler can reorder code execution and remove code that doesn't do anything, or isn't run. One C line may have multiple assembler lines. Local variables may be held in registers or on the stack.

• Changed during program execution? From what to what?

A pointer could be held in a register rather than a RAM variable when the compiler deems it more efficient to do so.

Show context where this is a problem, or how to replicate your situation.

Look at a disassembly of the code. The compiler can reorder code execution and remove code that doesn't do anything, or isn't run. One C line may have multiple assembler lines. Local variables may be held in registers or on the stack.

Children