This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Effects of __disable_irq()

Hello everyone,

I have a general question about disabling interrupts in ARM processors.

It is quite obvious that using the __disable_irq() in privileged mode should have the effect that no interrupt routines are called, but is the CPU still reactive to their triggering events by setting the interrupt flag? I would assume that it wouldn't, but need to know for sure.

Thanks,
George

Parents
  • I have a general question about disabling interrupts

most processors, ARM or not, have, for purposes of synchronization, a two step interrupt process.
    step1: set a flag "interrupt request"
    step2" if "interrupt request" active, interrupt
    most processors, ARM or not, will, when interrups are disabled, do step 1 but hold step2 till the interrupt is enabled again.

I say "most" because I can not claim to know them all, but as to my recollection the word is not "most" but "all"

Erik

PS if you do not want an interrupt, where step 1 occurred during disable, to occur when you enable, the process is
    clear "interrupt request" flag
    ebanble interrupt

PPS I/O is quite different between ARM processors, so for a definite answer you must specify the actual dvice

• I have a general question about disabling interrupts

most processors, ARM or not, have, for purposes of synchronization, a two step interrupt process.
    step1: set a flag "interrupt request"
    step2" if "interrupt request" active, interrupt
    most processors, ARM or not, will, when interrups are disabled, do step 1 but hold step2 till the interrupt is enabled again.

I say "most" because I can not claim to know them all, but as to my recollection the word is not "most" but "all"

Erik

PS if you do not want an interrupt, where step 1 occurred during disable, to occur when you enable, the process is
    clear "interrupt request" flag
    ebanble interrupt

PPS I/O is quite different between ARM processors, so for a definite answer you must specify the actual dvice

Children
No data