This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Correct handling of UART overrun error

Hello,

I'm using a LPC2478. I have a little problem with handling a UART buffer overrun error only during debugging. when the program is stopped on a breakpoint several times, and the line status register indicates "overrun error", reseting the contents of the RX FIFO (it is 8 byte long) causes CTI interrupts to start bombarding the system so often than it becomes inert. If I do not reset the contents of the RX FIFO debugging is possible. Note that when it goes wrong, I do not see any traffic on the serial bus (it is a RS485). Can you help me explain this?

Tamir

Parents
  • Tamir,

I realize you probably read up on this, and I may be missing your point/question, but I'll post this anyway...

On page 430 of:
    www.nxp.com/.../UM10237_3.pdf

CTI is explained, and it looks like you need to flush the FIFO buffer anyway.

As far as 'proper operations' when you are in a debug mode, and break-points are hit, a lot of micros will act/function differently than the specifications indicate. For that reason alone, it is hard to 'explain' why this is occuring without knowing the chip's guts. If this is a really big problem, try asking NXP about it: hopefully you can get through to one of their LPC2478 experts.

--Cpt. Vince Foster
    2nd Cannon Place
    Fort Marcy Park, VA

• Tamir,

I realize you probably read up on this, and I may be missing your point/question, but I'll post this anyway...

On page 430 of:
    www.nxp.com/.../UM10237_3.pdf

CTI is explained, and it looks like you need to flush the FIFO buffer anyway.

As far as 'proper operations' when you are in a debug mode, and break-points are hit, a lot of micros will act/function differently than the specifications indicate. For that reason alone, it is hard to 'explain' why this is occuring without knowing the chip's guts. If this is a really big problem, try asking NXP about it: hopefully you can get through to one of their LPC2478 experts.

--Cpt. Vince Foster
    2nd Cannon Place
    Fort Marcy Park, VA

Children