This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Declaration of global variables in one header file

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to split the C source code of one file into nearly 10 different. It does not work properly due to global variables declared in one header file but used in more than one C files. Compiling of such a project works fine but the linking errors L104 and L118 occur.

My question: How can I prevent this errors without creating one header file for every C file?

My idea is the following, but it is complicated and additionally unsure if it works:

#ifdef CPVAR
extern unsigned char global_var1;
extern unsigned int global_var2;
extern unsigned long global_var3;
#elseif
unsigned char global_var1;
unsigned int global_var2;
unsigned long global_var3;
#define CPVAR
#endif

Maybe one of the experts knows a less complicated opportunity to prevent (these) linker errors.

Parents
  • Your problem is that this

global variables declared in one header file but used in more than one C files

is not what you're actually doing. You define the symbols in the header file, instead of just declaring them. If this distinction doesn't mean anything to you, get a proper C textbook and look it up.

The trick you're trying to apply won't work, because it only affects a single translation unit. It is quite similar to one that would work. You have to declare the variables in all translation units that use them (by doing it in the header), and define them in exactly one of the source files.

• Your problem is that this

global variables declared in one header file but used in more than one C files

is not what you're actually doing. You define the symbols in the header file, instead of just declaring them. If this distinction doesn't mean anything to you, get a proper C textbook and look it up.

The trick you're trying to apply won't work, because it only affects a single translation unit. It is quite similar to one that would work. You have to declare the variables in all translation units that use them (by doing it in the header), and define them in exactly one of the source files.

Children