This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

adding reentrant to typedef function pointers causes redefinition in code

I am porting some code to an 8051.

(header.h)

typedef int     (Writer) (int ,
                                   u_char * ,
                                   u_char ,
                                   size_t ,
                                   u_char * ,
                                   int *) reentrant;
(source.h)
Writer bob;

(source.c)
int     bob(int val1,
            u_char * dat1,
            u_char dat2,
            size_t val2,
            u_char * dat3,
            int *pval) reentrant
{
}

When I attempt to compiler this, I get
error C231: '_bob' : redefinition. If I go to source.h and do the following:
(source.h)
//Comment out Writer bob;
int     (bob)(int val1,
            u_char * dat1,
            u_char dat2,
            size_t val2,
            u_char * dat3,
            int *pval) reentrant;

It compiles fine. Is this a limitation of the compiler? Any shortcuts I could use so I don't have to rewrite large chunks of code

Parents
  • The problem is not really the typedef itself --- which is a function type, rather than the function pointer type your subject alludes to. The problem is how you use it.

Writer  bob;

is a tentative definition of a function object "bob", and you put it into a header file. That's wrong --- you don't want object definitions in headers. Make that

extern Writer bob;

and you'll be getting somewhere.

If you really want Writer to be a function pointer type, you'll have to change the typedef, and you can't have bob both as the name of the pointer and the name of the function it points to, at the same time.

• The problem is not really the typedef itself --- which is a function type, rather than the function pointer type your subject alludes to. The problem is how you use it.

Writer  bob;

is a tentative definition of a function object "bob", and you put it into a header file. That's wrong --- you don't want object definitions in headers. Make that

extern Writer bob;

and you'll be getting somewhere.

If you really want Writer to be a function pointer type, you'll have to change the typedef, and you can't have bob both as the name of the pointer and the name of the function it points to, at the same time.

Children