This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How can we configure DS5 to debug hardware when in boot hold-off?

I am working with an LS1043A (NXP) branded ARMv8 A53. I am trying to bring the board up in a secure way requiring me to write to a few configuration registers before releasing the CPU (for testing purposes). The steps outlined for a similar NXP device (LS1021) uses their toolchain (Code Warrior/Core Warrior TAP) to connect to the device under reset and write to memory. I reached out to NXP and was redirected to the DS5/DSTREAM community.

In short, when the CPU cores are being held in reset how can we configure DS5 to have read/write access to memory? Specifically, I am interested in the registers of the Security Fuse Processor (SFP) which are contained in the CCSR block, if the access region makes any difference.

What I am seeing in DS5 is the following:

debug.png
Parents
  • Hi oncepragmatic,

You can probably do it through the MEM-AP components in the design - the cores are connected, probably, to an APB-AP accessor which is the thing fronting all the accesses to the cores. A memory write via the core goes via the APB-AP to the core debug logic, out through the core into the design. But you can also use the AHB-AP or AXI-AP in a design to go around the core and direct to the interconnect. There's a nice diagram in a blog here.

What we really need to do is figure out how to access it. Usually a system will come up with a prefixed memory space, such as AHB: or AXI: (or AXI_0:), for example. To get DS-5 to tell you what that prefix is, you can use the command

info memory

It should list the addressing prefixes available to the debug connection. Note that N:, S:, NP: and SP: etc. will go through cores, which are in reset, so you won't be able to use these. You should be able to see one like AHB: or AXI:, hopefully.

Once you know which prefix it is, then you may be very interested to know how to access the bus with custom attributes. For instance, I am fairly sure that the Secure Fuse Processor would require some kind of Secure access (i.e. AxPROT[1] would be 0 for AXI, or for AHB the corresponding HNONSEC would be 0.) You can apply those parameters with the address prefix, as follows to read, for example, a particular memory location (or to use in the Memory view of DS-5):

inspect /x AXI<PROT=1>:0xFFE00000

memory set AXI<PROT=1,verify=0>:0xFFE00000 32 ((unsigned int) 0xDEADBEEF)

Those parameters will be defined in two places. One, how DS-5 expects you to write them out, is returned by the command:

info memory-parameters

And the other would be the specification for example the AHB Access Port (AP) in the CoreSight SoC-400 TRM and the corresponding AMBA specification for whichever AP it is in the system. The bits in the Control and Status Word (CSW) register for each AP define which signals could be modified per-transaction, and the AMBA spec will tell you what the bit positions for each attribute will be. For AXI, PROT=1 means AxPROT[4:0] = 00001 which implies a Secure, Privileged transaction. Depending on the SoC component you should be able to work out the expected attributes, set the right parameters for the appropriate bus prefix, and perform the memory access operations you need.

Some friendly advice, though: please be careful! When dealing with things like eFUSE or OTP blocks, accidentally changing things in memory windows (you can click a word and edit it in-place!) may be a phenomenally bad idea and put your system into a permanently unusable state. Using the wrong attributes for accesses may also put your system in a more temporary unusable state, for instance if it causes a Security Controller Alarm which resets or prevents access to memory. It is sometimes not easy to prevent such accesses with a full UI debugger!

If you want to do much the same thing without invoking the UI, there is a command-line version of the DS-5 debugger (which will help prevent mis-clicking on a view), and also a low-level tool called CSAT which may be more suitable.

• Hi oncepragmatic,

You can probably do it through the MEM-AP components in the design - the cores are connected, probably, to an APB-AP accessor which is the thing fronting all the accesses to the cores. A memory write via the core goes via the APB-AP to the core debug logic, out through the core into the design. But you can also use the AHB-AP or AXI-AP in a design to go around the core and direct to the interconnect. There's a nice diagram in a blog here.

What we really need to do is figure out how to access it. Usually a system will come up with a prefixed memory space, such as AHB: or AXI: (or AXI_0:), for example. To get DS-5 to tell you what that prefix is, you can use the command

info memory

It should list the addressing prefixes available to the debug connection. Note that N:, S:, NP: and SP: etc. will go through cores, which are in reset, so you won't be able to use these. You should be able to see one like AHB: or AXI:, hopefully.

Once you know which prefix it is, then you may be very interested to know how to access the bus with custom attributes. For instance, I am fairly sure that the Secure Fuse Processor would require some kind of Secure access (i.e. AxPROT[1] would be 0 for AXI, or for AHB the corresponding HNONSEC would be 0.) You can apply those parameters with the address prefix, as follows to read, for example, a particular memory location (or to use in the Memory view of DS-5):

inspect /x AXI<PROT=1>:0xFFE00000

memory set AXI<PROT=1,verify=0>:0xFFE00000 32 ((unsigned int) 0xDEADBEEF)

Those parameters will be defined in two places. One, how DS-5 expects you to write them out, is returned by the command:

info memory-parameters

And the other would be the specification for example the AHB Access Port (AP) in the CoreSight SoC-400 TRM and the corresponding AMBA specification for whichever AP it is in the system. The bits in the Control and Status Word (CSW) register for each AP define which signals could be modified per-transaction, and the AMBA spec will tell you what the bit positions for each attribute will be. For AXI, PROT=1 means AxPROT[4:0] = 00001 which implies a Secure, Privileged transaction. Depending on the SoC component you should be able to work out the expected attributes, set the right parameters for the appropriate bus prefix, and perform the memory access operations you need.

Some friendly advice, though: please be careful! When dealing with things like eFUSE or OTP blocks, accidentally changing things in memory windows (you can click a word and edit it in-place!) may be a phenomenally bad idea and put your system into a permanently unusable state. Using the wrong attributes for accesses may also put your system in a more temporary unusable state, for instance if it causes a Security Controller Alarm which resets or prevents access to memory. It is sometimes not easy to prevent such accesses with a full UI debugger!

If you want to do much the same thing without invoking the UI, there is a command-line version of the DS-5 debugger (which will help prevent mis-clicking on a view), and also a low-level tool called CSAT which may be more suitable.

Children