This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

CMSIS dsp - no hardware debugging

Hi,
I normally work with data in Matlab, but I have to to convert my Matlab work to CMSIS dsp library. I don't have any experience in embedded programming and I can't understand how some things work.
I downloaded Keil MDK pack with their IDE and CMSIS dsp pack. I can open pack installer in IDE, choose Simulator as board and copy example with DSP_Lib. Then I have example program and it builds, everything looks fine.
How can I however run this program and analyse input and output signal?
If I start debug I can go throught entire program but I can't get any values. There is code:
#if defined(SEMIHOSTING)
#include <stdio.h>
#endif
Printing output could help but it doesn't work as semihosting is not definied in any of DSP examples. So how can I get values of output so I could what signal did I get? I don't have any hardware so I need to simulate this procces.
In this Youtube clip there is at least memory window where You can see nice decimal values of an array in testOuput variable. If I try to do the same I can only see some random hex values.
Any help with understanding how it works or how to get what I need would be great.

Parents
  • I've worked with a DSP project where I needed to print the values of functions out. What I did was added functions to the ini file listed at the Options for Target - Debug tab's Initialization File field. If you don't have one, just use a text editor to create it and save to as file_name.ini.  The functions acted as wrappers for the stdio printf. There was an array, output[1023], being used with fft functions that I was interested in. In one context the first 512 elements were interesting, in another, all 1024 were interesting. 

.ini contents: 

FUNC void print_output512(void){
    	unsigned int i;
    	printf("BEGIN OUTPUT 512\n");

for(i = 0; i < 512; i++) {                                                       
    			  printf("%f\n",output[i]);
    		}

}

FUNC void print_output1024(void){
    	unsigned int i;
    	printf("BEGIN OUTPUT 1024\n");

for(i = 0; i < 1024; i++) {                                                       
    		}

}

If I recall correctly, you then compile and in debug use the command INCLUDE file_name.ini. Then you can set a breakpoint where your interested in viewing values and call the functions by name in the command window. You can copy and paste from here. 

• I've worked with a DSP project where I needed to print the values of functions out. What I did was added functions to the ini file listed at the Options for Target - Debug tab's Initialization File field. If you don't have one, just use a text editor to create it and save to as file_name.ini.  The functions acted as wrappers for the stdio printf. There was an array, output[1023], being used with fft functions that I was interested in. In one context the first 512 elements were interesting, in another, all 1024 were interesting. 

.ini contents: 

FUNC void print_output512(void){
    	unsigned int i;

for(i = 0; i < 512; i++) {                                                       
    		}

}

FUNC void print_output1024(void){
    	unsigned int i;

for(i = 0; i < 1024; i++) {                                                       
    		}

}

If I recall correctly, you then compile and in debug use the command INCLUDE file_name.ini. Then you can set a breakpoint where your interested in viewing values and call the functions by name in the command window. You can copy and paste from here. 

Children
No data