This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Two different functions but with the same name in separate libraries

I have two libraries, named a.lib and b.lib. Both libraries have a function char test(void), but return different characters.

a.c (a.lib)

char test(void);
char test(void) {
return 'a';
}

b.c (b.lib)

char test(void);
char test(void) {
return 'b';
}

I create a project link these two libraries and call test() in main() function.

main.c

char test(void);
int main()
{
char c = test();
return 0;
}

I expected it should be "Error: L6200E: Symbol multiply defined" error, but " 0 errors".

Why is there no link error?

Thanks for the reply.

Parents
  • Because it is a library not an object?

The linker pulls from the first library it can achieve closure with, that's why the ordering of libraries is important.

The library can contain multiple objects, if pulling in your symbol draws in a larger object with other symbols, these may conflict in your namespace resulting in a multiply defined error.

This is also why the compiler has option to create a new object for each function.

A book on linker design may explain this better.

• Because it is a library not an object?

The linker pulls from the first library it can achieve closure with, that's why the ordering of libraries is important.

The library can contain multiple objects, if pulling in your symbol draws in a larger object with other symbols, these may conflict in your namespace resulting in a multiply defined error.

This is also why the compiler has option to create a new object for each function.

A book on linker design may explain this better.

Children