This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Latest ARM GCC compiler for Big Endian Processors

Hi All,

I am hoping to use GCC to compile code for the TMS570LS3137 or TMS570LS43x processor which are big endian Cortex-R4 and Cortex-R5F respectively. 

I have found some old instructions here: TMS570LS and GCC compiler - Hercules safety microcontrollers forum - Hercules ︎ safety microcontrollers - TI E2E support forums. I will attempt to follow them today.

Can anyone provide some explanation of how to build GCC including the libraries for big endian? Is there a recent, pre-build set of tools that support these processors?

Thanks!

Parents
  • I recently struggled through this problem.  It is easy to compile big endian using -mbig-endian, but the program cannot be linked if only little-endian libraries are provided.

After much toil in trying to build a GCC cross-compiler and search the internet for solution, I found binaries for a big-endian cross compiler (armeb) on linaro.org here:

https://releases.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/latest-7/armeb-eabi/

If you are using Microsoft Windows, unzip gcc-linaro-7.5.0-2019.12-i686-mingw32_armeb-eabi.tar.xz somewhere on your computer.  If you are using CCS you can then add the toolchain in your preferences.  You will have to manually configure all of the compiler options (endianness, architecture, CPU, FPU, etc).  I was able to build, link and execute the whole thing on TMS570LS1224 with no problems.

• I recently struggled through this problem.  It is easy to compile big endian using -mbig-endian, but the program cannot be linked if only little-endian libraries are provided.

After much toil in trying to build a GCC cross-compiler and search the internet for solution, I found binaries for a big-endian cross compiler (armeb) on linaro.org here:

https://releases.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/latest-7/armeb-eabi/

If you are using Microsoft Windows, unzip gcc-linaro-7.5.0-2019.12-i686-mingw32_armeb-eabi.tar.xz somewhere on your computer.  If you are using CCS you can then add the toolchain in your preferences.  You will have to manually configure all of the compiler options (endianness, architecture, CPU, FPU, etc).  I was able to build, link and execute the whole thing on TMS570LS1224 with no problems.

Children