This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GCC 10

I was curious to try out GCC 10 for my ARM microcontroller project. So I tried to build it from source on my Ubuntu system using the build scripts and libraries provided with the latest release, just replacing GCC 9 with GCC 10.

Everything worked well until Newlib started to build. It stopped with the following error:

arm-none-eabi-gcc -B/gcc-arm-none-eabi-10/build-native/newlib/arm-none-eabi/thumb/v8.1-m.main+mve/hard/newlib/ -isystem /gcc-arm-none-eabi-10/build-native/newlib/arm-none-eabi/thumb/v8.1-m.main+mve/hard/newlib/targ-include -isystem /gcc-arm-none-eabi-10/src/newlib/newlib/libc/include -B/gcc-arm-none-eabi-10/build-native/newlib/arm-none-eabi/thumb/v8.1-m.main+mve/hard/libgloss/arm -L/gcc-arm-none-eabi-10/build-native/newlib/arm-none-eabi/thumb/v8.1-m.main+mve/hard/libgloss/libnosys -L/gcc-arm-none-eabi-10/src/newlib/libgloss/arm -mthumb -march=armv8.1-m.main+mve -mfloat-abi=hard -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"newlib\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"newlib\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"3.3.0\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"newlib\ 3.3.0\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE_URL=\"\" -I. -I/gcc-arm-none-eabi-10/src/newlib/newlib/libc/argz -fno-builtin -D__NO_SYSCALLS__ -D_COMPILING_NEWLIB -DHAVE_INIT_FINI -g -O2 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -mthumb -march=armv8.1-m.main+mve -mfloat-abi=hard -c -o lib_a-argz_replace.o `test -f 'argz_replace.c' || echo '/gcc-arm-none-eabi-10/src/newlib/newlib/libc/argz/'`argz_replace.c
/tmp/ccDe77Wp.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccDe77Wp.s:3: Error: unknown architecture extension `mve'

/tmp/ccDe77Wp.s:23: Error: unknown architecture extension `mve'

/tmp/ccyPoB1p.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccyPoB1p.s:3: Error: unknown architecture extension `mve'

/tmp/ccyPoB1p.s:23: Error: unknown architecture extension `mve'

/tmp/cct9070p.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cct9070p.s:3: Error: unknown architecture extension `mve'

/tmp/cct9070p.s:23: Error: unknown architecture extension `mve'

Makefile:417: recipe for target 'lib_a-argz_count.o' failed

[...]

Does anyone have an idea why GCC 10 assembler obviously doesn't know the 'mve' architecture extension? How can I fix this?

Parents
  • Problem solved, build scripts from the new 2020-q2 release work fine with GCC 10.1.0, too. So if anyone else is curious to run the new static code analyzer on his firmware project, all you have to do is use the source package provided by ARM and replace GCC 9.3 with GCC 10.1.0 from gcc.gnu.org. Happy building :-)

• Problem solved, build scripts from the new 2020-q2 release work fine with GCC 10.1.0, too. So if anyone else is curious to run the new static code analyzer on his firmware project, all you have to do is use the source package provided by ARM and replace GCC 9.3 with GCC 10.1.0 from gcc.gnu.org. Happy building :-)

Children