This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Running Android in PC

Hi Experts,

Can I test specific android OS in the PC environment to change the middleware and other aspects of the build before testing it in the ARM based development boards.

Regards,

techguyz

• If I understand your question correctly; yes, you can modify, build and run AOSP system images on your desktop/host machine in an emulated environment. The Android SDK includes the ability to run Android Virtual Devices (AVDs). You can run both ARMv7-A and x86 emulated virtual machines. There are 3rd party Android emulation environments like Genymotion but using your own system.img and kernel may not be as well documented.

The Android SDK system images download to */sdk/system-images/android-23/google_apis/armeabi-v7a

and consist of:

build.prop

kernel-qemu*

ramdisk.img

source.properties

system.img

userdata.img

Each of those parts of the Android system bundle could be modified and replaced. The emulation environments are not known for their speed but they might be more convenient for certain types of development like you're suggesting or testing various screen sizes and orientations on a limited device budget or checking binary compatibility for NDK libraries.

Screen Shot 2015-10-09 at 11.20.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-10-09 at 11.23.12 AM.png
  • This is only possible for the Android operating system monitor.  You can check from Contact Arlo support to know more about this. I also faced the same problem before.