This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Regarding USB3.X Interface in ARM based microcontrollers

Hi Everyone,

USB org introduced USB3.1 Gen 2 (USB3.2 Gen 2 x1) in year 2013. Further to this, USB3.2 Gen 2 x 2 was also introduced in year 2017.

In the processor segment (specially in 32-bit ARM processors), the implementation of USB 3.X is very rare. Only few of the manufacturers are actually having ARM based general purpose controller with USB 3.X interface. Mainly, these processors only support USB 3.0 (Superspeed USB).

Is there any specific reason for the lesser implementation of USB 3.x across ARM processor platform?

Recently, USB org announces USB 4.0. They will be providing more information on the same in coming few months. Will there be any major development of USB4.0 on ARM processor platform?

Any ideas and suggestions for ARM processor with USB 3.X interface will be a good point to start with.

Thanks & Regards,

Sunny Watts

• Hi,

This is true! 

I am actually looking for such a processor for almost 2 years now! But unfortunately, there are only a few options out there, and they have so little documentation that I was so skeptical about starting a design based on them.

I am still looking to see if ST or NXP has some processor with USB 3.X UDC included.

if you found some, let me know.

I am at the moment using the latest version of ST, named STM32MP1XX... But sadly, it has only USB 2.0 UDC. For now, we just use the UCB C connection in our designs, but the communication is USB 2.0... :)

I talked to some experts, and they all suggested switching to FPGA... but that is another issue itself...

BR,

Leox