Microcontrollers for IoT application

HI all,

Generally what all the parameters deciding the selection of a microcontroller for IoT application?

I know that most of the IoT solutions are designed around ARM controllers like ARM Cortex-M series.

ARM Cortex-M series microcontrollers are optimised for low power applications and have lots of standy features and it will save power Say ARM Coretex-M0+ can run for 15 years from cell battery! So low power might be one criteria.

I would like to know other micrcontrollers used in the IoT applications.

Thanks and Regards,

Deepu

Parents
  • Hello,

I second the recommendation that you need to look at the application and SW first before selecting HW.

I strongly recommend that you look at

mbed OS | mbed

This will give you an idea of the sort of software you need to run a fully functional IoT node.

Then you need to determine the requirements for the application itself that you planning.

Together, these two sw items will define the software size and requirements at which point it becomes much easier to select a HW platform.

Regards

Diya

• Hello,

I second the recommendation that you need to look at the application and SW first before selecting HW.

I strongly recommend that you look at

mbed OS | mbed

This will give you an idea of the sort of software you need to run a fully functional IoT node.

Then you need to determine the requirements for the application itself that you planning.

Together, these two sw items will define the software size and requirements at which point it becomes much easier to select a HW platform.

Regards

Diya

Children
No data