This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Accessing Arm cortex M3 processor inside FPGA using xilinx JTAG

Hi,

I have been trying to integrate Arm cortex M3 in my design on Xilinx FPGA (Kintex7 in specific). I am using "Arm Cortex-M3 DesignStart FPGA-Xilinx edition User Guide" as reference. I have some questions and doubts regarding software development and debugging.

1. From the example design and other resources, I have understood that only Keil uVision can be used for software development.
    1. Is this assumption correct ?
    2. If not, can Xilinx SDK be used for it ?
  2. To debug or program the processor, the documentation seems to suggest that a separate JTAG needs to be connected exclusively for the processor.
    1. Is there a way to use the same jtag (xilinx jtag) for both cortex m3 processor and the rest of the FPGA (like using MDM with microblaze)?
    2. Is the method of access through Vivado tcl shell for the cortex m3 processor same as when the design uses microblaze or zynq processor (xmd/ xsdb)?

Basically I would like to know if I can use the microblaze and arm cortex m3 processors interchangeably in a design without much modification to the tool flow or any additional hardware.

Reference:
1. Arm Cortex-M3 DesignStart FPGA-Xilinx edition User Guide
developer.arm.com/.../
2. Connecting the Debug Probes
docs.zephyrproject.org/.../index.html

Thanks in advance
-Keerthi