This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Declaring unused variable causes the soft to have weird behaviour

I have a working software that I need to upgrade (Flash size is 44638 bytes), but sometimes when I declare basic variable, my software is having weird behaviour. This is not the first time that we saw that, but we always find a workaround like declaring it as an external in other file.

Right now, when I add :

uInt8 UartReadyToSend;

In my modbus.c file, my software is not correctly responding and seems to block the software. This variable is commented in all my code. I can see that this is not working normally when this variable is declared because :

1) My software is simply not responding.

2) I have a uart terminal that returns me some variable of one of my function and it's stuck on the same state.

It's probably a configuration issue, but I don't know what can cause this. My code optimization level is set to 8 in the option of my target.

Here is some info :

Our debug adapter : https://fr.farnell.com/en-FR/silicon-labs/debugadptr1-usb/adaptor-usb-debug-for-c8051fxxx/dp/1186943

IDE-Version: µVision V5.25.2.0 Copyright (C) 2018 ARM Ltd and ARM Germany GmbH. All rights reserved.

Tool Version Numbers: Toolchain: PK51 Prof. Developers Kit Version: 9.59.0.0

Toolchain Path: C:\Keil_v5\C51\BIN

C Compiler: C51.exe V9.59.0.0

Assembler: A51.exe V8.2.7.0

Linker/Locator: BL51.exe V6.22.2.0

Librarian: LIB51.exe V4.30.1.0

Hex Converter: OH51.exe V2.7.0.0

CPU DLL: S8051.DLL V3.122.0.0

Dialog DLL: DCYG.DLL V2.75.0.0

Target DLL: SiC8051F.dll V4.4.0.0

Dialog DLL: TCYG.DLL V2.72.0.0

Thank you.

Parents
  • As GrantB and the support suggested, it was an issue with my stack, probably by using function pointers while I had warning about unused functions.

From what I know, this was because my call-tree was wrong so I could fix it by cleaning unused functions warnings or :

--> Disabling the memory overlaying by specifying the linker directive NOOVERLAY in the µVision dialog 'Options for Target - BL51 Misc - Misc Controls'.

NOOVERLAY option worked for me.

• As GrantB and the support suggested, it was an issue with my stack, probably by using function pointers while I had warning about unused functions.

From what I know, this was because my call-tree was wrong so I could fix it by cleaning unused functions warnings or :

--> Disabling the memory overlaying by specifying the linker directive NOOVERLAY in the µVision dialog 'Options for Target - BL51 Misc - Misc Controls'.

NOOVERLAY option worked for me.

Children
No data