This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to make changes to the disk/root filesystem of a CheriBSD instance

Hi all,

I am currently running the Morello FVP on a CheriBSD instance, built with the cheribuild script. 

I added a test file (helloworld.txt) to the root filesystem of the machine under ~/cheri/output/rootfs-morello-purecap/root

I then rebuilt the machine and disk image with ./cheribuild.py run-fvp-morello-purecap -d

I assumed this would take into account the changes I've made, and would rebuild the machine/disk image to include them. However, when going to /root on the CheriBSD instance after rebuilding, the file isn't there. It has also been removed from the host system under ~/cheri/output/rootfs-morello-purecap/root

Why is this happening? And what is the best way to make amendments to a CheriBSD instance, such as adding files, so that when the machine is rebuilt/booted with the cheribuild script they are included?

Thanks!

Parents
  • As mentioned in the other thread: If you want to compile a simple C/C++ file, cheribuild installs some helper scripts in output/morello-sdk/utils/cheribsd-morello-purecap-clang(++) that will add the necessary compiler flags to select right ABI and CheriBSD sysroot (the flags are defined in output/morello-sdk/bin/cheribsd-morello-purecap.cfg).

Thanks, I've got a simple C program running on Cheri now :)

I'm now looking at compiling the target nginx-morello-purecap. Once I have cross-compiled this, where would it live on the CheriBSD instance? Would I configure this like a normal Nginx web server? How would you suggest configuring the IP so that I can communicate between the Ubuntu host system and the CheriBSD VM running inside QEMU to view the Nginx front-end?

Thanks again!

• As mentioned in the other thread: If you want to compile a simple C/C++ file, cheribuild installs some helper scripts in output/morello-sdk/utils/cheribsd-morello-purecap-clang(++) that will add the necessary compiler flags to select right ABI and CheriBSD sysroot (the flags are defined in output/morello-sdk/bin/cheribsd-morello-purecap.cfg).

Thanks, I've got a simple C program running on Cheri now :)

I'm now looking at compiling the target nginx-morello-purecap. Once I have cross-compiled this, where would it live on the CheriBSD instance? Would I configure this like a normal Nginx web server? How would you suggest configuring the IP so that I can communicate between the Ubuntu host system and the CheriBSD VM running inside QEMU to view the Nginx front-end?

Thanks again!

Children
  • I'm now looking at compiling the target nginx-morello-purecap. Once I have cross-compiled this, where would it live on the CheriBSD instance?

If you run cheribuild --pretend nginx-morello-purecap (or do the actual build and look at the messages) you can see how exactly nginx is built and installed. In particular, the configure invocation passes --prefix=/opt/morello-purecap/nginx, so that's where it will live.

Would I configure this like a normal Nginx web server?

Yes. Just note that we build it with the default settings, so configuration lives in /opt/morello-purecap/nginx/conf rather than overriding it to something like /etc/nginx like some distributions do.

How would you suggest configuring the IP so that I can communicate between the Ubuntu host system and the CheriBSD VM running inside QEMU to view the Nginx front-end?

Easiest way is to port-forward with --run-morello-purecap/extra-tcp-forwarding=$HOST_PORT:80, then it should be available on localhost:$HOST_PORT on the host.

• If you run cheribuild --pretend nginx-morello-purecap (or do the actual build and look at the messages) you can see how exactly nginx is built and installed.

Just done this with the --logfile option so I can have a look at the build steps in detail. In which directory is this logfile produced?

Easiest way is to port-forward with --run-morello-purecap/extra-tcp-forwarding=$HOST_PORT:80, then it should be available on localhost:$HOST_PORT on the host.

Brilliant I'll give this a shot! Just to confirm, would it be --run-morello-purecap/extra-tcp........          or --run-fvp-morello-purecap/extra-tcp.........

Before then, I am currently looking at getting a very simple database configured with postgres-morello-purecap. I've made a new user (dbadmin) for this as postgres can be a bit funny when using root. I've navigated to it's directory at /opt/morello-purecap/postgres/bin and I can't seem to start the postgres service with ./postgres as I get this error message below, any ideas? There is also no entry for the postgres service in /etc/rc.d

dbadmin@cheribsd-morello-purecap:/opt/morello-purecap/postgres/bin $ ./postgres
    postgres does not know where to find the server configuration file.
    You must specify the --config-file or -D invocation option or set the PGDATA environment variable.

I also can't create a database with ./createdb as I am met with this error message:

dbadmin@cheribsd-morello-purecap:/opt/morello-purecap/postgres/bin $ ./createdb test
    createdb: could not connect to database template1: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
    Is the server running locally and accepting connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

Thanks for all your help!

• Just done this with the --logfile option so I can have a look at the build steps in detail. In which directory is this logfile produced?

~/cheri/build/nginx-morello-purecap-build/ will have .log files, but those are solely for the output from running configure and make. The output from cheribuild itself isn't saved anywhere.

Brilliant I'll give this a shot! Just to confirm, would it be --run-morello-purecap/extra-tcp........          or --run-fvp-morello-purecap/extra-tcp.........

It depends whether your using our Morello QEMU or Arm's Morello FVP.

I've navigated to it's directory at /opt/morello-purecap/postgres/bin and I can't seem to start the postgres service with ./postgres as I get this error message below, any ideas? 

As it says you need to tell it where your data directory is.

There is also no entry for the postgres service in /etc/rc.d

Upstream PostgreSQL doesn't provide an rc.d file, if you want one you'll have to copy it from the FreeBSD Ports tree at https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/blob/main/databases/postgresql14-server/files/postgresql.in or write your own. Note that this includes passing -D to address the above error.

I also can't create a database with ./createdb as I am met with this error message:

createdb and initdb are different things. The former is for adding new databases to a running PostgreSQL instance. The latter is for setting up the first database that a server can then be started with. See https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/creating-cluster.html and https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/manage-ag-createdb.html. You'll need to run initdb pointed at where you want the data directory to be.