This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Debugging a compiled file compiled on Eclipse

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to debug a file compiled in Eclipse with the uVision version V5.14.0.0 in a microcontroller STR912FAW47. I can insert breakpoints in the assembler windows but the option is disable when I try to do the same in the windows with the C code (figure). Do I need to add something on the makefile to activate the debbuging?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Alan Blumenstein

Parents
  • Hi Alan

Please can you tell us a bit more about the file that you have loaded into the Debugger? If the Debugger is not letting you set breakpoints in the C code, then I suspect your file does not contain debug information. Is it an ELF file (e.g. .axf), or a plain binary file? Plain binary files does not contain debug information.

If it is ELF, and you are building with GCC, then use "objdump --debugging" or "readelf --debug-dump" to check if the objects & executable contain debug information. If building with the Arm Compiler, use "fromelf -g".

If you see no debug information, then check that the compile step is adding debug information into the ELF objects (I see you are using -gdwarf-2 already, so that should be OK), and then check that the link step isn't accidentally removing the debug information with e.g. --strip-debug.

The STR912FAW47 is an ARM966E-S based device, so you may fare better by using a single toolchain for building and debugging your code, such as the Arm Development Studio developer.arm.com/.../arm-development-studio
    The STR912-family boards are supported directly by Arm Development Studio via DSTREAM/DSTREAM-ST debug hardware.

• Hi Alan

Please can you tell us a bit more about the file that you have loaded into the Debugger? If the Debugger is not letting you set breakpoints in the C code, then I suspect your file does not contain debug information. Is it an ELF file (e.g. .axf), or a plain binary file? Plain binary files does not contain debug information.

If it is ELF, and you are building with GCC, then use "objdump --debugging" or "readelf --debug-dump" to check if the objects & executable contain debug information. If building with the Arm Compiler, use "fromelf -g".

If you see no debug information, then check that the compile step is adding debug information into the ELF objects (I see you are using -gdwarf-2 already, so that should be OK), and then check that the link step isn't accidentally removing the debug information with e.g. --strip-debug.

The STR912FAW47 is an ARM966E-S based device, so you may fare better by using a single toolchain for building and debugging your code, such as the Arm Development Studio developer.arm.com/.../arm-development-studio
    The STR912-family boards are supported directly by Arm Development Studio via DSTREAM/DSTREAM-ST debug hardware.

Children