I've looked around on Google and through these forums. I cannot
find a solution to my problem. I'm willing to try suggestions and am
eager to figure this out.
I have a project that is compiling without error but will not build.
It looks like the linker isn't being called, but I'm not sure how to
tell. I have tested building other projects on my computer for the
same processor with the same version of uVision (V18.104.22.168). Other
projects build correctly, so I don't think it is the way I installed
the IDE. Additionally, I have successfully built this project on a
different computer with the same version of the IDE. As far as I can
tell I haven't changed anything in the project file (I pulled it off
of SVN so I can see when I change something).
Here is the build output (abbreviated for repetitive lines and
with project/file names changed).
Build target 'ProjectThatShouldJustBuild'
Target not created
As you can see, there are no error messages and no warning
messages. It just finishes compiling, and then declares that the
target isn't created.
Brian Arnberg <><
Download the latest C51 version from below link and try again:
If it does not help, contact technical support:
Thank you for the advice. However, updating C51 version is not an
option because this is for a legacy system. Also, since I have the
exact same version installed on another machine (multiple other
machines, actually) and it is working, I'm inclined to think it is
something different. That said, I will consider it.
I will take your advice on contacting technical support.
Solved Some uVision combinations of version and license
require the project and IDE/Compiler installation to be on the OS
harddrive. It appears my setup was one such combination. Moving the
project to the OS harddrive (where the IDE/Compiler was installed)
solved the problem. Moving the IDE/Compiler to the data harddrive
(where the project was) did not solve the problem. I did not try
having the project on the OS drive and the keil installation on the
data drive, but I don't see the point in trying that.
I found that out on a whim. I was frustrated and tried moving the
project just to see what would happen, and that fixed it. My project
harddrive is really big, so I'm sad about needing to have the project
on the same harddrive as the IDE, but both are internal so it's just
something that I'll need to move.
Solved (part 2): There is different solution. One of the
files in my project had a space in the name. Removing the space from
the name made the project compile and then link correctly, regardless
of which harddrive the project was on. Don't know why a space in the
name would matter on one harddrive and not on the other, but there
Summary: If this happens to you, fixes are 1) make sure no files
have spaces in them (make sure the old guys on your team comply
here), or 2) move the project to a different harddrive.
I hope this helps someone in the future, but I also hope no one
else deals with this problem.
Spaces in names is a big problem with many apps. A rule i gave
myself years ago was to avoid them whetever possible. A rule from so
long ago that i no longer think about it.
Definitely worth highlighting your findings though. Thanks.
Agreed. I can't stand looking in source code and finding spaces in
file names, but this one was specially hidden. The file name was
"Some_Long_Name .c" and I overlooked it.
And not just spaces - also other special characters including
punctuation, accented letters, ampersand, etc, etc, ...
"but this one was specially hidden. The file name was
'Some_Long_Name .c' and I overlooked it"
Now that is nasty!
View all questions in Keil forum