This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Floating point performance on Cortex M3

Hi,

I am at the moment testing a Cortex M3 (Evaluation Board with Toshiba TMPM330). I am thinking about realising a controller on it in combination with the RTX-RL OS. This requires massive usage of filters as well as differentiation.

Usually, building this thing in university, I can simply use floating points and everything is fine. Due to the fact that the Cortex M3 only emulates floating point operations, I do wonder if this causes massive performance issues and if there are any other limitation. Using it with usually integers or similiar is not really a great alternative.

Has anyone experience and can recommend me ideas? Is it fine if I just use the floating point code, can I avoid some issues by simple adjustments or do I have to code it in fixed point.

Thank you

Christian

Parents
  • Using it with usually integers or similiar is not really a great alternative.

Maybe you could explore fixed-point arithmetics as an alternative? The CM3 is quite fast with 64-bit math, faster than floating-point.

And floating point arithmetics bring their own set of possible pitfalls, especially in control engineering and signal processing.

• Using it with usually integers or similiar is not really a great alternative.

Maybe you could explore fixed-point arithmetics as an alternative? The CM3 is quite fast with 64-bit math, faster than floating-point.

And floating point arithmetics bring their own set of possible pitfalls, especially in control engineering and signal processing.

Children
No data