This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Floating point performance on Cortex M3

Hi,

I am at the moment testing a Cortex M3 (Evaluation Board with Toshiba TMPM330). I am thinking about realising a controller on it in combination with the RTX-RL OS. This requires massive usage of filters as well as differentiation.

Usually, building this thing in university, I can simply use floating points and everything is fine. Due to the fact that the Cortex M3 only emulates floating point operations, I do wonder if this causes massive performance issues and if there are any other limitation. Using it with usually integers or similiar is not really a great alternative.

Has anyone experience and can recommend me ideas? Is it fine if I just use the floating point code, can I avoid some issues by simple adjustments or do I have to code it in fixed point.

Thank you

Christian

Parents
  • You'd have to state your specific performance requirements. Floating point operations do take considerably more time than integer ones, but only you can decide if they are too slow for you.
    You can easily measure execution time of your code in Keil's simulator.

• You'd have to state your specific performance requirements. Floating point operations do take considerably more time than integer ones, but only you can decide if they are too slow for you.
    You can easily measure execution time of your code in Keil's simulator.

Children