This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What does the XTAL directive really mean?

I am confused by the documentation. It states in the "Getting Started" book that the XTAL [directive in the Target dialog] specifies the CPU clock for my device. "In most cases this value is inentical with the XTAL frequency." When is it not? And if not what do I enter into the field? I am using the EZUSB part from Cypress. I believe that the actual CPU clock speed for a 12MHz crystal would be 48MHz. Should I enter 12 or 48?

Parents
  • "I am confused by the documentation. It states ... 'In most cases this value is identical with the XTAL frequency'" (my emphasis)

I think that should be a hanging offence for manual writers!

The purpose of the manual is to describe the product to the User - not to leave the reader with futher, unanswered questions!
    OK, the fine detail might be in a footnote or something, but it must be there somewhere - and clearly referenced.

There's another one in that same table in the "Getting Started" Guide:
    The description of 'Code Banking' and 'Xdata Banking' is, "Specifies the parameters for code and xdata banking. Refer to "Code Banking" on page 67 for more nformation."
    The is absolutely no description at all of XDATA Banking!

• "I am confused by the documentation. It states ... 'In most cases this value is identical with the XTAL frequency'" (my emphasis)

I think that should be a hanging offence for manual writers!

The purpose of the manual is to describe the product to the User - not to leave the reader with futher, unanswered questions!
    OK, the fine detail might be in a footnote or something, but it must be there somewhere - and clearly referenced.

There's another one in that same table in the "Getting Started" Guide:
    The description of 'Code Banking' and 'Xdata Banking' is, "Specifies the parameters for code and xdata banking. Refer to "Code Banking" on page 67 for more nformation."
    The is absolutely no description at all of XDATA Banking!

Children