This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Combining C and C++ source files in a DS-5 project using the Altera Baremetal GNU toolchain

I'm using DS-5 Intel Soc FPGA Edition Version 5.28.1

I want to create a DS-5 project that will automatically compile .C files with GCC and .CPP files with G++.

I can get the project to work by manually selecting the C++ compiler for .CPP files, but it is painful to set up/maintain and creates some errors in the error log.......is there an easier way to do this ?

The steps I am following for a v simple example project is:

File->New->C/C++ Project
Select C Managed Build Template - as documentation suggests that a C++ project will push all files through C++ compiler.
Select Project type: Empty Project
Select Toolchain: Altera Baremetal GCC

Add a .C file and a .CPP file to the project. Change linker from arm-altera-eabi-gcc to arm-altera-eabi-g++.
The .CPP file is not compiled when I attempt to build the project.
Therefore I:
Right click on .CPP file - select Properties->C/C++ Build->Tool Chain Editor. Change Select tool from --NO TOOL-- to GCC C++ Compiler.
Right click on .CPP file - select Properties->C/C++ Build->Settings->Tool Settings->GCC C++ Compiler->Command: change from g++ to arm-altera-eabi-g++

Note here that  the GCC C++ Compiler options not show the Target option like it does if I create a C++ project or like it does for the GCC compiler.

I can now compile and link OK.
arm-altera-eabi-gcc is used for the .C file and arm-altera-eabi-g++ is used for the .CPP file.

However for every CPP file I add, I need to go and select the C++ compiler again - how do I get it to just compile .CPP files with G++ and .C files with GCC ?

Also the C++ compiler still does not appear in the C/C++ Build->Settings->Tool Settings list, so any compiler options I need to change manually for each .CPP file included.

I also get 2 entries in the error log when I build the project ( despite the compile/link working OK) complaining about:

Error: Cannot run program "G++": Launching failed from the org.eclipse.cdt.core plug-in.

What G++ is this referring to - I have configured the C++ compile command as arm-altera-eabi-g++.

The error log generated is:

eclipse.buildId=4.6.3.M20170301-0400
java.version=1.8.0_45
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_GB
Framework arguments: -product com.arm.ds.altera
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product com.arm.ds.altera

org.eclipse.cdt.core
Error
Thu May 16 07:57:30 BST 2019
Error: Cannot run program "g++": Launching failed

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "g++": Launching failed
at org.eclipse.cdt.utils.spawner.Spawner.exec(Spawner.java:349)
at org.eclipse.cdt.utils.spawner.Spawner.<init>(Spawner.java:91)
at org.eclipse.cdt.utils.spawner.ProcessFactory.exec(ProcessFactory.java:91)
at org.eclipse.cdt.core.CommandLauncher.execute(CommandLauncher.java:194)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.BuildRunnerHelper.build(BuildRunnerHelper.java:263)
at org.eclipse.cdt.make.internal.core.scannerconfig2.DefaultRunSIProvider.invokeProvider(DefaultRunSIProvider.java:144)
at org.eclipse.cdt.build.internal.core.scannerconfig.jobs.CfgSCJobsUtil$1.run(CfgSCJobsUtil.java:94)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:826)
at org.eclipse.cdt.build.internal.core.scannerconfig.jobs.CfgSCJobsUtil.getProviderScannerInfo(CfgSCJobsUtil.java:105)
at org.eclipse.cdt.build.core.scannerconfig.ScannerConfigBuilder.build(ScannerConfigBuilder.java:206)
at org.eclipse.cdt.build.internal.core.scannerconfig.CfgDiscoveredPathManager.loadPathInfo(CfgDiscoveredPathManager.java:298)
at org.eclipse.cdt.build.internal.core.scannerconfig.CfgDiscoveredPathManager.getDiscoveredInfo(CfgDiscoveredPathManager.java:177)
at org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.internal.dataprovider.ProfileInfoProvider.getEntryValues(ProfileInfoProvider.java:65)
at org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.internal.dataprovider.BuildEntryStorage.getDiscoveredEntries(BuildEntryStorage.java:200)
at org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.internal.dataprovider.BuildEntryStorage.putEntriesToLevel(BuildEntryStorage.java:190)
at org.eclipse.cdt.core.settings.model.util.AbstractEntryStorage.initCache(AbstractEntryStorage.java:71)
at org.eclipse.cdt.core.settings.model.util.AbstractEntryStorage.getEntries(AbstractEntryStorage.java:34)
at org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.internal.dataprovider.BuildLanguageData.getEntries(BuildLanguageData.java:161)
at org.eclipse.cdt.core.settings.model.extension.impl.CDefaultLanguageData.getEntriesToCopy(CDefaultLanguageData.java:101)
at org.eclipse.cdt.core.settings.model.extension.impl.CDefaultLanguageData.createStore(CDefaultLanguageData.java:92)
at org.eclipse.cdt.core.settings.model.extension.impl.CDefaultLanguageData.copySettingsFrom(CDefaultLanguageData.java:85)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.CLanguageSettingCache.copySettingsFrom(CLanguageSettingCache.java:47)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.CLanguageSettingCache.<init>(CLanguageSettingCache.java:42)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.CFileDescriptionCache.copyLanguageData(CFileDescriptionCache.java:40)
at org.eclipse.cdt.core.settings.model.extension.impl.CDefaultFileData.copyDataFrom(CDefaultFileData.java:58)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.CFileDescriptionCache.<init>(CFileDescriptionCache.java:35)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.CConfigurationDescriptionCache.copyFileData(CConfigurationDescriptionCache.java:223)
at org.eclipse.cdt.core.settings.model.extension.impl.CDefaultConfigurationData.copySettingsFrom(CDefaultConfigurationData.java:126)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.CConfigurationDescriptionCache.applyData(CConfigurationDescriptionCache.java:193)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.CProjectDescription.applyDatas(CProjectDescription.java:216)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.SetCProjectDescriptionOperation.executeOperation(SetCProjectDescriptionOperation.java:98)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.model.CModelOperation.execute(CModelOperation.java:341)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.model.CModelOperation.run(CModelOperation.java:607)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:2240)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:2267)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.model.CModelOperation.runOperation(CModelOperation.java:638)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.AbstractCProjectDescriptionStorage.setProjectDescription(AbstractCProjectDescriptionStorage.java:203)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.CProjectDescriptionStorageManager.setProjectDescription(CProjectDescriptionStorageManager.java:149)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.settings.model.CProjectDescriptionManager.setProjectDescription(CProjectDescriptionManager.java:853)
at org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.internal.core.BuildSettingsUtil.checkApplyDescription(BuildSettingsUtil.java:211)
at org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core.ManagedBuildManager.updateCoreSettings(ManagedBuildManager.java:1575)
at org.eclipse.cdt.build.internal.core.scannerconfig.CfgDiscoveredPathManager$1.run(CfgDiscoveredPathManager.java:154)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.model.BatchOperation.executeOperation(BatchOperation.java:36)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.model.CModelOperation.execute(CModelOperation.java:341)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.model.CModelOperation.run(CModelOperation.java:607)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:2240)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:2267)
at org.eclipse.cdt.core.model.CoreModel.run(CoreModel.java:1219)
at org.eclipse.cdt.core.model.CoreModel.run(CoreModel.java:1180)
at org.eclipse.cdt.build.internal.core.scannerconfig.CfgDiscoveredPathManager.updateCoreSettings(CfgDiscoveredPathManager.java:157)
at org.eclipse.cdt.build.core.scannerconfig.ScannerConfigBuilder.build(ScannerConfigBuilder.java:125)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:735)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:206)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:246)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:301)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:304)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:360)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:383)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.buildInternal(Workspace.java:487)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.build(Workspace.java:406)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.BuildAction$1.runInWorkspace(BuildAction.java:285)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:39)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Parents
  • ARM support have helped me out here and come up with an explanation and work around for the problem.

I'll attempt to summarize here in case others run into this.

DS-5 has a couple of different ways that the toolsets are integrated into Eclipse.  The GCC toolset is integrated so that C files are compiled via GCC and C++ files via G++.

The ARM toolset is integrated so that all files are compiled via armclang and the tool itself deals with the C/C++ language differences.

The Altera Baremetal GCC toolset has been integrated like an ARM toolset and thus all files are pushed through G++ regardless of their suffix if a C/C++ project is created.

The workaround suggested is to create the project using the standard GCC toolchain and then to redirect the tools to use the Altera Baremetal tools.  Select the standard GCC toolchain when the project is created, and then update the compilers used in the C/C++ Build/Settings/Tool Settings to use the arm-altera-eabi-gcc instead of  arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc and arm-altera-eabi-g++ instead of arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++ (you'll also need to update the assembler and linker tools).  You need to ensure that your PATH setting includes the path for the arm-altera-eabi-gxx/g++ tools.  You don't end up with the nice target settings selection that you would get if you created the project directly using the Altera Baremetal GCC toolchain, but you can still pass the target compiler options via the miscellaneous/other flags option in the compiler settings.  You'll also need to patch the .cproject files to get the tools renamed to something sensible.

• ARM support have helped me out here and come up with an explanation and work around for the problem.

I'll attempt to summarize here in case others run into this.

DS-5 has a couple of different ways that the toolsets are integrated into Eclipse.  The GCC toolset is integrated so that C files are compiled via GCC and C++ files via G++.

The ARM toolset is integrated so that all files are compiled via armclang and the tool itself deals with the C/C++ language differences.

The Altera Baremetal GCC toolset has been integrated like an ARM toolset and thus all files are pushed through G++ regardless of their suffix if a C/C++ project is created.

The workaround suggested is to create the project using the standard GCC toolchain and then to redirect the tools to use the Altera Baremetal tools.  Select the standard GCC toolchain when the project is created, and then update the compilers used in the C/C++ Build/Settings/Tool Settings to use the arm-altera-eabi-gcc instead of  arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc and arm-altera-eabi-g++ instead of arm-linux-gnueabihf-g++ (you'll also need to update the assembler and linker tools).  You need to ensure that your PATH setting includes the path for the arm-altera-eabi-gxx/g++ tools.  You don't end up with the nice target settings selection that you would get if you created the project directly using the Altera Baremetal GCC toolchain, but you can still pass the target compiler options via the miscellaneous/other flags option in the compiler settings.  You'll also need to patch the .cproject files to get the tools renamed to something sensible.

Children
No data