This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Interoperability for c++ between armclang and gcc(linaro)

Hi;

I have built 'Compute Library'  as said in Bare Metal Building section of documentation by using Linaro toolchain on Ubuntu. I'm targetting bare-metal.

On another machine, I want to use this library but this machine has an Arm Compiler 6 version and I want to use it as my toolchain. 

While linking, I get errors like 

L6242E: Cannot link object <objname> as its attributes are incompatible with the image attributes.

it says packed-enum is not compatible with enum_is_int.

I tried to play with  compiler option, -fshort-enums, -fno-short-enums but couldn't succeded.

So my question is, is it possible to call methods from a library that is build by Linaro Toolchain from another executable that is  build by Arm Compiler 6(armclang).

If possible, Which options should I set?

Parents
  • Hi,

In the general case, all compilers implement the Arm ABI, a binary standard intended to provide compatibility between compilers. So it should be possible to build libraries with one compiler, and link them using another. However, this sometimes isn't as simple or as easy as we might like, as there are sometimes different versions of the ABI to cope with different packing types, variable sizes etc. It's a case of configuring both compilers so they align on their use of ABI variants.

I'll send you a private message, let's see if we can get you going.

Thanks,

Paul.

• Hi,

In the general case, all compilers implement the Arm ABI, a binary standard intended to provide compatibility between compilers. So it should be possible to build libraries with one compiler, and link them using another. However, this sometimes isn't as simple or as easy as we might like, as there are sometimes different versions of the ABI to cope with different packing types, variable sizes etc. It's a case of configuring both compilers so they align on their use of ABI variants.

I'll send you a private message, let's see if we can get you going.

Thanks,

Paul.

Children