This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Issue arm-none-eabi-gcc of gcc-arm-none-eabi-6-2017-q2-update need GLIBC_2.14 and GLIBC_2.11

Dear All,

To use 'arm-none-eabi-gcc' I've got a gcc-arm-none-eabi-6-2017-q2-update.ar.bz2 from ARM Toolchain.

But I came across the following issue GLIBC_2.14 and GLIBC_2.11 need to use.

u24c02:/home/nick/gcc/gcc-arm-none-eabi-6-2017-q2-update/bin] arm-none-eabi-gcc
arm-none-eabi-gcc: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by arm-none-eabi-gcc)
arm-none-eabi-gcc: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by arm-none-eabi-gcc)

I'm using CentOS 5 64bit.

How do I fix my issue to use gcc-arm-none-eabi-6-2017-q2-update's arm-none-eabi-gcc?

What am I supposed to do to resolve this problem?

• I had a similar problem with RHEL 6.  The issue is that your Centos OS was built with an older version of GLIBC.  The tool is trying to tell that to you with the error message.  You would get that same error message just asking "arm-none-eabi-gcc --version".

To see what version of GLIBC you have try this command:

ldd --version

I got that from this post:

www.linuxquestions.org/.../

There are warnings about trying to use latter versions of glibc on RHEL 6 .... 

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/360551/problems-running-glibc-2-14-on-rhel6

The release notes for the tools tell you which versions of the Build OS that are supported.  The last one that supports RHEL 6 is 

5-2016-q3-update

Hope this helps.
  • Hi,

CentOS is not a platform we officially support the tools on. Also, the tools are supported on RHE7 onwards.

Please refer to the Release note on this link  for more information on supported host platforms.

https://developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads

Thanks,
    Tejas.

• Hi,

This is an old question but maybe still answer will be useful for all with this issue:

So Centos 5 GLIBC version is 2.5. And toolchain you are using requires newer version of GLIBC (2.11 / 2.14). What does it mean to you ?

Toolchain binaries (toolchain is a program as well) was build on host machine against GLIBC of that host. In our case toolchain built was on host with GLIBC 2.11 or 2.14. You then must use this toolchain on host OS with GLIBC version 2.11 (or even 2.14) onwards. Hosts with installed newer versions of GLIBC will support applications requiring the same or older version of GLIBC.

How to check my host's GLIBC version ? On Linux type in command line:

$ ldd --version

With blessings on Docker we can actually check few Centos GLIBC versions with just one not so complicated command :)

$ for n in {5..8}
        > do
        > docker run -it --rm centos:$n ldd --version
        > done
    ldd (GNU libc) 2.5
    Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
    warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.
    ldd (GNU libc) 2.12
    Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    ldd (GNU libc) 2.17
    Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    ldd (GNU libc) 2.28
    Copyright (C) 2018 Free Software Foundation, Inc.