This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What program is giving the debug info, is it gcc or gdb?

Hello. I found this forum just now. I'm writing some lessons about C-programming. I have run gcc in Linux (Debian-based) and if there are errors in the code, I get messages describing the error, or the reason for the "crash". I just wonder, what program is dealing with the error-hints. Is it GCC or GDB, or something else?

What is this procedure called, "debug-info", "error-tracing", "syntax-hinting"?

Greetings

Parents
  • if there are errors in the code, I get messages

Build time diagnostics are produced by the compiler or linker.

The compiler generates debug information which gets included into the object file to allow the debugger to associate memory addresses with source code lines and identifiers. This is the "debug-info".

The debugger works at run time. It uses the debug information from the compiler.

I get messages describing the error, or the reason for the "crash".

This sounds like you're talking about messages generated by an operating system?

Not sure what you're referring to as "error-tracing" ?

By "syntax hinting" do you mean syntax highlighting? This is actually performed by the IDE - not the compiler.

• if there are errors in the code, I get messages

Build time diagnostics are produced by the compiler or linker.

The compiler generates debug information which gets included into the object file to allow the debugger to associate memory addresses with source code lines and identifiers. This is the "debug-info".

The debugger works at run time. It uses the debug information from the compiler.

I get messages describing the error, or the reason for the "crash".

This sounds like you're talking about messages generated by an operating system?

Not sure what you're referring to as "error-tracing" ?

By "syntax hinting" do you mean syntax highlighting? This is actually performed by the IDE - not the compiler.

Children