This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Occurrence of a Data Abort exception in bare board application executing on i.MX6 based board

We have developed a bare board software on NXP’s i.MX6 based platform.  The bare board software enables MMU after initializing a single ARM Cortex-A9 processor to execute a small application.

Initial State

1. All caches are disabled.
  2. L1 prefetch disabled

Observation:

Case I:

When all the memory is mapped with ‘Strongly Ordered’ attribute, there is no exception and the application executes continuously.

Case II:

When all the memory (except the memory containing UART, Interrupt and Timer peripheral registers) is mapped with ‘Normal’ attribute, a Data Abort exception occurs randomly when the UART device is continuously accessed.  Here, ‘randomly’ means that the number of times UART is accessed before the exception occurs is not constant.

Analysis Done:

1. The value in DFAR is an invalid memory address i.e., it is not mapped in the page tables and should not be accessed as per the application memory map.
  2. The assembly code which caused exception is shown below( the address with blue underline is the PC generating exception):

Compiler Details:

The code is compiled with gcc 7.2.0 with the following options:

-O0 -gdwarf-2 -gstrict-dwarf -Wall -nostdinc -O0 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -mcpu=cortex-a9 -march=armv7-a -mtune=cortex-a9 -mapcs -marm -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=hard -static -Werror=implicit-function-declaration -fno-builtin -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-exceptions -mno-unaligned-access