This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cortex-A35 Counter-timer Physical Count register (CNTPCT_EL0) always reads zero

Counter-timer Physical Count register CNTPCT_EL0 always reads zero on FVP_Base_Cortex-A35x1. 

I expect the value of this register to change over time. 

I set $CNTFRQ_EL0=35000000, and $CNTP_CTL_EL0=5.

What is the possible reasons, and how is there any configuration I need make to enable this counter? Thanks

Parents
  • Hi,

Because of how Fast Models partition work your application could complete without the A35 updating the CNTPCT_EL0 register from 0. Try to extend the run of your application from the CNTPCT_EL0 initialization to you reading its value to check that it is still zero even on longer application executions.

Another option if the above does not work is to lower the 'quantum' of the simulation. This quantum value loosely represents the number of instructions run before checking other peripherals in the system and could be affecting the CNTPCT_EL0 register population. Add the switch '--quantum 10' after the FVP_Base_Cortex-A35x1 executable on the terminal/command line to lower the quantum value to 10 (it defaults to 10000).

Thanks,
    -Zach

• Hi,

Because of how Fast Models partition work your application could complete without the A35 updating the CNTPCT_EL0 register from 0. Try to extend the run of your application from the CNTPCT_EL0 initialization to you reading its value to check that it is still zero even on longer application executions.

Another option if the above does not work is to lower the 'quantum' of the simulation. This quantum value loosely represents the number of instructions run before checking other peripherals in the system and could be affecting the CNTPCT_EL0 register population. Add the switch '--quantum 10' after the FVP_Base_Cortex-A35x1 executable on the terminal/command line to lower the quantum value to 10 (it defaults to 10000).

Thanks,
    -Zach

Children