This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[MGD/GearVR/UE4] End of frame not detected

Hi guys,

I'm trying to profile a GearVR application running on Unreal Engine v4.17 with Mali Graphics Debugger (4.7) integrated. I can connect to the MGD service on the device and receive data but it seems that the profiler doesn't detect the end of frame event and simply accumulates all the frames together under "Frame0".

Here's my setup:

• I'm running on an non-rooted Galaxy S7 device (SM-G930FD) with Android 7.0.
  • GearVR "Developer Mode" is enabled on the GearVR Service (meaning im not running this inside the GearVR HMD)
  • I'm using a USB connection (it works over TCP too)

When I try to run directly inside the GearVR HMD (with GearVR Developer Mode disabled) over TCP, the application will remain on a black screen and although I receive some small bits of data in the MGD desktop app, the app on device seems to remain stuck on the black screen with no frames being rendered. I have no idea why either.

I'm assuming the developer mode is causing MGD to get confused about the end of frame signal (as it's probably a different code path/pattern from the regular VR application running through the Oculus compositor/on device).

Any clue on what's going here? I can provide the full trace in a separate email/PM on request.

Thanks in advance for your help or insights,

William

• Hi William,

We're aware of the issue with MGD and GearVR apps with Android N and above. Since Android N, we have not been able to correctly intercept any calls from inside the GearVR service, which means we cannot determine when the end of frame actually is.

We're currently working with Oculus to introduce a solution that should provide much more reliable end-of-frame detection for all versions of Android, but unfortunately this solution will not make until the version after MGD 4.8.0.

Thanks,

Nik