This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wayland/Weston on Mali?

I have been working on running Wayland with a Weston compositor on the Odroid XU4, and would like to share my experience.

The current stable odroidxu3-3.10.y kernel contains an older unsupported r5p1-00rel1 mali driver, but the currently supported Mali user mode GLES/EGL drivers require the r6p0-02rel0 driver.   After patching the kernel with the later kernel driver, I can now get the ARM libmali.so working with the 3.10 kernel.

I have previously built Weston on iMX6 platforms which use the Vivante GPU.  The iMX6 GPU drivers provided by freescale provide three different GLES and EGL libraries for fbdev, x11, and wayland.  The libEGL-wl.so on iMX6 platforms allows wayland clients access to EGL, however I can only find support for fbdev and x11 libraries on the malideveloper.com site.

Is it currently possible to use EGL on Mali with Wayland?  I suppose Tizen does this somehow, however but I cannot find any libEGL-wl.so implementation for Mali GPUs.  Although I could build Mesa for ARM to provide the EGL Wayland libraries, I don't see how Mesa can use the Mali GPU since there's no Gallium driver backend for Mesa.

SInce ARM seems to be pushing Wayland as the future for Mali compositors, shouldn't they provide the libEGL-wl.so libraries for LInux?